Stovaotri

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I'm in need of some help from the community, I just got done installing a new 256GB SSD (C: drive) (with OS) and a new 1TB HDD (E: Drive) to my computer and im a little bit at a loss for finding the best way to set everything up.

I am a PC gamer and i would like to try to use the SSD for some of my games and programs but what about the Drivers? Should I install all the mobo and graphics drivers to the HDD or just leave them on the SSD?

After looking over the internet and seeing all the different ways people have configured there setups I am left extremely confused and do not know how to proceed.

As things stand right now I have everything on my SSD and nothing on my HDD so if anyone can please help me out here I would greatly appreciate it Thank you

Solution
You can move steam games around using the mklink /d command.

I typically install steam to my SSD (so it is running when the computer starts and not 5 minutes later), before logging into steam I do make a link for the steamapps folder to my HDD (you can also close steam, move your steamapps folder to the HDD, and then create the link). Then I create a folder on my C drive called "LinksFromD", and move individual games into that folder and link them back to the steamapps folder on D:.

You can also use the steam mover (google it :)) program to simplify moving individual games; but I still recommend installing to C: and moving steamapps to D: and creating a link; this way games default to your D drive, and you can steam mover them back...
Install everything to the SSD. Don't you want the fastest access to everything? And you have 256GB, that is HUGE!

One thing, why is the OS drive C: (as is should be) but your HDD is E:? It should be D:

Check it in Disk Management:

start/computer/right-click/manage/select disk management, check the graphs of your drives.

Once you check this, I'll follow-up with tips & tricks for SSD+HDD.

Stovaotri

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Ah, I fixed it now, it seems that my CD drive took D: and that is why I couldn't get the HDD set up correctly. So now I have it set up as-

SSD C:
HDD D:
CD drive E:

oh and also I don't really want to risk installing everything on to my SSD as I do play many games that use up a good amount of space and I don't want to be in a situation in the future that I have all my Steam games on my SSD but no more room to download anything else through Steam. See what im getting at?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
You can move steam games around using the mklink /d command.

I typically install steam to my SSD (so it is running when the computer starts and not 5 minutes later), before logging into steam I do make a link for the steamapps folder to my HDD (you can also close steam, move your steamapps folder to the HDD, and then create the link). Then I create a folder on my C drive called "LinksFromD", and move individual games into that folder and link them back to the steamapps folder on D:.

You can also use the steam mover (google it :)) program to simplify moving individual games; but I still recommend installing to C: and moving steamapps to D: and creating a link; this way games default to your D drive, and you can steam mover them back to C if you want.

(Links are like stealthy shortcuts, steam will be tricked into thinking steamapps is on the C drive, when in reality it's on D).

You can also move the windows 7 users and program data folders:
http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7
This process is seamless if you get it right, but if you botch it (which I've done a couple times) you'll need to either unravel the mistake or reinstall windows, so be prepared.

Make sure you look at the SSD optimization guide and do some of these, they help alot:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Solution