viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Hello,
I create all sorts of visuals as a hobby. A week ago I bought this SSD. My current laptop setup is 2x WD Black HDD [both 500gb]. HDD 1 containts OS, all the software, documents and personal files. HDD 2 contains all of my games + I store every project that I currently work on, this includes all of the video files, project files and everything related. [after finishing it, I delete everything except the project files, which I archive to my external HDD].

With me buying this SSD, I wanted to something like this:

SSD - OS, all of my creative software [PS, AE...], current projects.
HDD - other typical software and everything else, like personal files and games.

Now, by logic that means Program Files would be located in the D drive, which is not typical for windows, and I read it could cause some problems, which wouldn't be ideal, because I still use this laptop for school work etc...
Another question I have is, if having software like After Effects on SSD makes a big difference in performance. For video files, etc... it's clear, but i'm not sure about the software itself.

If having program files on the D drive would cause alot of trouble, I guess I'll just give up having OS on the SSD and just replace my current HDD 2 with SSD, because there's no way I'll fit everything on one 500GB SSD.

I'm sorry if I confused you a bit, and thanks in advance.

Solution
Given a 500GB SSD, you want the OS and ALL of your applications on it.
Makes no sense to have applications running on the slow drive. And most actual applications don't take up that much space.
I have a 500GB SSD as the OS drive, and many, many applications on it. Adobe Lightroom, MS VisualStudio, etc, etc, etc.

Your data files can go anywhere.
You can have a current working project on the SSD, and transfer to the HDD when you're done working on it.
Or have some working projects on the HDD as well. Makes no difference.

Also, it is a common misconception that you need a folder named "Program Files" on a second drive, as an application location.
You can install programs to any folder name, on any drive.
But don't....have them stay...

USAFRet

Titan
Makes no sense to have applications running on the slow drive. And most actual applications don't take up that much space.
I have a 500GB SSD as the OS drive, and many, many applications on it. Adobe Lightroom, MS VisualStudio, etc, etc, etc.

You can have a current working project on the SSD, and transfer to the HDD when you're done working on it.

Also, it is a common misconception that you need a folder named "Program Files" on a second drive, as an application location.
But don't....have them stay on the SSD.

Reactions: viktorrko
Solution

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019

But don't....have them stay on the SSD.

Actually I haven't really though of the actual size of the applications, you are right about fitting all of the applications on it. I think i'll keep the games on the HDD though, some of them take up more space, and I'm not that much of a gamer, so it's not that important.

So you are basically saying that storing the actual video files somewhere on a slower drive won't make much of a difference, right?

I know you don't have to install applications in the Program Files folder, I just tried to summarize it. I haven't done enough research on it, I'll admit that though...

Thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the games are the things that do take up space.
Games and movies.

A large application install like the entirety of MS Office, with all the options selected consumes less than half of a single full length HD movie. 2 or 3GB.

Adobe Lightroom v5.7 only consumes ~1GB.

Games can suck up near 100GB, once you start to include the DLC and mods.

Putting your video files on the HDD will of course be slower.
But you can have a few of your current files that are in work on the SSD, and move them to the HDD later.

Reactions: viktorrko

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, the games are the things that do take up space.
Games and movies.

A large application install like the entirety of MS Office, with all the options selected consumes less than half of a single full length HD movie. 2 or 3GB.

Adobe Lightroom v5.7 only consumes ~1GB.

Games can suck up near 100GB, once you start to include the DLC and mods.

Putting your video files on the HDD will of course be slower.
But you can have a few of your current files that are in work on the SSD, and move them to the HDD later.
OK, thanks for the explanation, I'll do it like you suggested.

Thanks alot!