[SOLVED] SSD is Dead?

vulcan_v6

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
The other night I was playing a game on my PC and whilst playing the game had froze (no biggie) tried to Alt + f4 to close it, didnt work. Tried to alt tab to access the rest of my PC and take it from there although my screens just went black. Left it for a few minutes before getting annoyed and just switched it off... (this is where ive really fcked up)

I go to power my PC back up... BSOD (Unmountable Boot Volume)

I go to windows setup try all the auto repair and various CMD commands on youtube with no luck.... I go to the reinstall page to see the list of my drives to see if stuff was still on there. WIndows shows that that the SSD is empty (oh dear)

Although with the running of windows setup it was being really really slow. I mean taking forever. Would be on a page for a good 20 mins before going to the next page. I discovered that if I take out the SSD from the PC the whole windows setup runs fast as normal with no issues.

I tried the diskpart command in CMD on the setup page which didnt work when the SSD was plugged in although when the SSD is unplugged the diskpart command works and shows my HDD. So I assume an error with reading whats on the drive but can see the drive still.

Im wondering if my data is still on my drive and it shows as empty because it cannot access it (as tried to be accessed by diskpart) although the fact that it was really slow on the windows setup suggests that it kept constantly trying to access the SSD but eventually gave up moving onto the next step. So the SSD is being detected but there is no data nor can I access it from diskpart.

Currently writing this on the "try before installing" Ubuntu on my USB

Really wondering if anyone knows if how to resolve something like this...

Also a lesson learnt to not switch it off from the wall when its frozen facepalm

Windows 10
Sandisk SDSSDA 2.5" SSD -480G

TIA

Solution
If you cannot access the SSD, it is gone along with the data that was on it.

This is specifically why we harp on backups around here.
Loss of a drive should never involve loss of data.

I had exactly the same thing happen a year ago, interestingly a Sandisk as well. 960GB.
Turned the PC OFF, 5 minutes later turned it on...that drive was gone.
Slide in another 1TB, click click....recover all the data as it was at 4AM that morning when the backup ran.

Sandisk gave me a new drive, even though that one was 33 days past the 3 year warranty.

USAFRet

Titan
If you cannot access the SSD, it is gone along with the data that was on it.

This is specifically why we harp on backups around here.
Loss of a drive should never involve loss of data.

I had exactly the same thing happen a year ago, interestingly a Sandisk as well. 960GB.
Turned the PC OFF, 5 minutes later turned it on...that drive was gone.
Slide in another 1TB, click click....recover all the data as it was at 4AM that morning when the backup ran.

Sandisk gave me a new drive, even though that one was 33 days past the 3 year warranty.

Solution