Status
Not open for further replies.

apologetic_zombie

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
So I understand that SSD's can last awhile but I would rather spend more money on one that will last as long as possible. I am thinking of getting a 240-256 gb SSD but im having trouble fully understanding the difference between MLC and TLC, i believe that MLC last longer but not sure. So if anyone could clarriffy that would be great. To be even more awesome could any one suggest a long lasting SSD (not over 200$).

Solution
D
There are many variables including drive size and the amount of data written to it. MLC lasts longer than TLC. That being said check this out and I believe you will see even the Samsung 840 Evo TLC drives will last longer than any other part in your computer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Also if you read that whole page you will see those are official figures. In the real world people are reporting double those listed p/e cycles.

I just bought a 500GB 840 Evo. Since I will never write anywhere near 100GB or even 50GB a day to the drive it should last over 50 years easily. Or since I'm almost 40 it will probably last longer than me! 50-100GB a day is what you...
D

Deleted member 217926

There are many variables including drive size and the amount of data written to it. MLC lasts longer than TLC. That being said check this out and I believe you will see even the Samsung 840 Evo TLC drives will last longer than any other part in your computer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Also if you read that whole page you will see those are official figures. In the real world people are reporting double those listed p/e cycles.

I just bought a 500GB 840 Evo. Since I will never write anywhere near 100GB or even 50GB a day to the drive it should last over 50 years easily. Or since I'm almost 40 it will probably last longer than me! 50-100GB a day is what you would see in a data center not for a home user.

If that's not enough for you the 840 Pro uses MLC and should last even longer.

Solution

thessdreview

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I don't think that one should even worry about SSD lifespan unless they are in a very work intensive environment, where they definitely wouldn't be using a consumer SSD. SSDs have been around since 2007 and, even today, very little is known about SSD end life in typical scenarios because it takes them so long to reach that, MUCH longer than hard drives. As pointed out above, testing that is in place is showing that SSDs last much longer than one might expect.

4-5 years is a walk in the park.

With modern SSD's, you should be worried about it going obsolete before you have to worry about its flash wearing out. An MLC or TLC drive will outlast its own obsolescence, the only reason I would pay for the stronger MLC is if you were putting it in a heavy write/delete usage case, such as a video editing scratch disk or a cache.

Oct 23, 2020

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/...w-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

I just bought a 500GB 840 Evo. Since I will never write anywhere near 100GB or even 50GB a day to the drive it should last over 50 years easily. Or since I'm almost 40 it will probably last longer than me! 50-100GB a day is what you would see in a data center not for a home user.

If that's not enough for you the 840 Pro uses MLC and should last even longer.

so your samsung Evo still running well as 2013 this posted??? reply us

Status
Not open for further replies.