Question SSD Likely Failed - Recovery Options?

commissar_mo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello - I'm fairly confident my Boot SSD has failed. I don't know why. (It was powered off for 4 months, had worked without issue for years). I moved several times, finally re-assembled computer, it was recognized in BIOS and tried to boot into Win (got the Win logo, but it hanged...), rebooted, and it was no longer seen on BIOS.

1. I have NOT been able to get it detected since. (SATA and PSU confirmed working - CD drive is detected and can boot the Win 8.1 Recovery disc - I spent a long time thinking it was hardware related but does NOT appear to be). But cannot detect my Boot SSD.

2. Worse, I used a SATA/USB to connect to a DIFFERENT Computer. It does NOT appear in DEVICE MANAGER or Disk Manager. I assume this is a VERY bad sign. (I also can't think of any reason it would NOT appear in Device Manager other than it somehow is dead - all the other issues, e.g. drive letters conflicting, shouldn't PREVENT it from appearing in Device Manager at all???)

3. Does anyone know anything I should try that I have not?

4. What would the recovery options look like? I am just... destroyed by this. Backups were incomplete.

Thank you advance to any posters.

Lutfij

Titan
SATA and PSU confirmed working - CD drive is detected and can boot the Win 8.1 Recovery disc - I spent a long time thinking it was hardware related but does NOT appear to be)
Just for the sake of relevance, it helps us two fold if we know the specs to your build.
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU as well.

I had a Crucial M4 128GB SSD back in the day that gave up the ghost when I didn't need it to. I tried plugging it into any other system I could get my hands on and it all pointed to a dead drive. I held onto to it as memorabilia since it got me through some tough times but after about 4 years, pulled it out of my storage bin and hooked it up to a dock I got late 2019, turns out it works and is seen by Crucial's Storage Ecxceutive.

I thought back then I had a bad quality PSU(due to lack of proper funds and many expenses in life) I chalked it up to the unit being the issue.

Data recovery wise, I doubt you can retrieve anything from a flash drive that isn't being detected in BIOS even.

commissar_mo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello, appreciate your reply.

I don't think the component mix is related to the failure as it ran for years without issue, it's also been disconnected/reconnected 5 times as I moved so many times.

1. I'm just trying to understand what happened.

2. When I re-assembled everything I got a "new CPU detected" message which I had not seen before. It kicked me to the BIOS and the drive WAS detected on BIOS and I tried to boot to Windows. It hanged for a long time, I rebooted it.

And then It has not been recognized since.

Could that reboot as Windows was loading have corrupted something?

This seems more physical problem now though since the drive won't show in device manager on a another computer on USB.

2. I've tried cycling the power 30m on /30seconds off twice but seems not to help.

Also tried leaving it powered on for a few hours and then also powered on connected to SATA (some people have reported delayed recognition).

3. I'm visiting data recovery firm hopefully soon.

CPU: Core i7 all stock settings
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII
SSD: Samsung 850 256GB
PSU: Corsair 750 RX ~1 year old.
RAM: Corsair Dominator 32GB 4x8