Question SSD locked and won't boot to OS

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I installed a new SSD in my computer to add extra storage for sounds. After installing the SSD my bios reset and my other SSD that has my OS on it would not boot anymore. I inserted the thumb drive with the OS software on it and tried using CMD to fix boot but the SSD did not have anymore space on it to create a partition for boot. If I install a fresh version of the OS on another SSD then delete some of the files on the old SSD to create space for a CMD boot fix would that allow me to reuse that SSD for the OS? Or will I have to move all of my files from it and scrap it? When I checked the status of the SSD with my OS it was healthy and all of my files were still in place. Looking for any suggestions that will help.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Execute this and show output:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
detail disk

BTW - Disk 2 most likely is your USB flash drive 64GB.

Ahhh yes you are right. That is my USB drive that has the OS software to reinstall windows 8.1 pro. I was half asleep this morning when I took that screenshot. I will take another screenshot with that output you suggested when I get home.

Execute this to fix booting on your SSD.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
(If you get any errors then stop immediately)

What this does -
c: partition is shrinked by 500MB and​
new proper bootloader partition is created.​

Samsung 250GB must be in Boot Option #1
I can't see full description of drive there. Is your new 1TB SSD also Samsung?

And change Boot mode selection to "Legacy Only".

Settings are in this screen:

wAoUHYX.jpg

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

wAoUHYX.jpg

The Samsung 250GB is selected as the boot option #1. I actually disconnected the Samsung 1TB SSD. If this does not work what other options do I have? I was thinking about buying Windows 10 install it on the brand new 1TB SSD then moving all the files off of the 250 GB SSD and reformatting it then install Windows 10 to it and move the files back to it and reformat the 1TB SSD so I can use it for sounds. If I don't have to do all of that then great but just wondering if that would work as well. I am concerned with my profiles on the 250 GB that has the OS because i'm not sure if I would be able to use them on windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan
The Samsung 250GB is selected as the boot option #1. I actually disconnected the Samsung 1TB SSD. If this does not work what other options do I have? I was thinking about buying Windows 10 install it on the brand new 1TB SSD then moving all the files off of the 250 GB SSD and reformatting it then install Windows 10 to it and move the files back to it and reformat the 1TB SSD so I can use it for sounds. If I don't have to do all of that then great but just wondering if that would work as well. I am concerned with my profiles on the 250 GB that has the OS because i'm not sure if I would be able to use them on windows 10.
If the system currently has a valid license and is activated, you do not need to buy anything.
From a working system, create your own WIN 10 USB installer and use that.

$0 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

USAFRet

Titan
Is the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 still free? I am on Windows 8.1 Pro right now.
Even though the official free upgrade window expired long, long ago, it still works.
I did it back in December with my grandsons brand new system.

Installed a bare Win 10, applied a previously unused Win 8.1 license...poof, activated.

From a Win 8.1 Pro, you'll need to install a Win 10 Pro.
It should work.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Even though the official free upgrade window expired long, long ago, it still works.
I did it back in December with my grandsons brand new system.

Installed a bare Win 10, applied a previously unused Win 8.1 license...poof, activated.

From a Win 8.1 Pro, you'll need to install a Win 10 Pro.
It should work.

So go to the link you provided above and get the install media for Win 10 Pro?

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Yes.
It's the same install for all versions. You select the one you want during the install.

Thanks for letting me know. I do have another question for you on the storage front. I see we run some of the same SSD's from Samsung but I also see you are running a SanDisk Ultra3D 1TB. How are they in comparison to Samsung EVO from a write/read speed and reliability standpoint? I would like to add another 1-2TB of space for sounds down the road and I see a lot of good deals on SanDisk storage solutions but I've always heard Samsung is the only way to go.

USAFRet

Titan
The SanDisk currently in there is a replacement for a SanDisk that died suddenly...;)
33 days past the 3 year warranty...poof, instant death.
SanDisk did me a solid and gave me a new one, but they did not have to.

Of the dozen or so SSD's I have installed in various systems, that's the only one that has died outright.

Of a shortlist of SSD's, I'd buy in this order:
Samsung 8XX EVO
Crucial MX500
WD Blue
SanDisk

Reactions: Walt1227

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

wAoUHYX.jpg

wAoUHYX.jpg
I changed it to legacy only and the message about no operating system found is still popping up when I try to boot from the SSD. See the image I posted earlier of that message.