Question SSD Not Recognized in BIOS of new system

Nov 20, 2020
Rebuilt my pc specs
MOBO : Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC b550
Cpu ryzen 5600x
ram: 32 gb oloy 3600 cl16
SSD in question - samsung evo pro 840 250gb ((sata connection not m2)

I’ve had the drive 4 or 5 years i believe. Last time i checked in magician said drive was in good health. I bread board the build and it goes to bios menu. So i go to put it in case and this is where <Mod Edit> has hit the fan. First, it wouldn’t turn on at all. Would kick for a split second and then nothing. Only thing different from breadboard was the drives were connected. So i start unplugging and replugging them in, only have one plugged in, etc. nothing. Finally i replace the sata power cable connected to them and it boots. But the SSD is not recognized; the two storage drives are. I’ve tried replacing the sata data connector and different ports on the motherboard - nothing. Cannot find any kind of option in bios menu where i need to enable anything, and like i said, it recognizes the other two storage drives. Did the drive just die or something? I already unexpectedly had to replace the PSU and insanely frustrated, this is my 5th or 6th build in 10 years and i’ve never had this many issues in one. My plan is to go to best buy tomorrow and get an m2 drive to boot into (my two storage drives both have a ton of data on them including all my backups i had from prepping for the new build so formatting one into a boot drive is not an option. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2020
CSM mode already enabled, i went to legacy boot only in storage boot options and had same issue, not visible in bios and not an option to pick if i attempted to install windows

Nov 20, 2020
Couldnt get any connector to work so i went and bought an m2 drive. Easily installed on that; machine still cant see the SSD. Going to get a sata to usb to hook it up as an external and see if windows can recognize that, otherwise i guess its dead. It was 6 years old.

Dec 16, 2020
Couldnt get any connector to work so i went and bought an m2 drive. Easily installed on that; machine still cant see the SSD. Going to get a sata to usb to hook it up as an external and see if windows can recognize that, otherwise i guess its dead. It was 6 years old.
If you still have stuff on it (and otherwise as well, I guess) its probably worth trying it in different machines and see if it pops up somewhere. Then you might be able to format it up and get it working

Nov 20, 2020
If you still have stuff on it (and otherwise as well, I guess) its probably worth trying it in different machines and see if it pops up somewhere. Then you might be able to format it up and get it working
Yeah, just having it as usb drive will make that easier (rather than hooking it up into someone else's case). Luckily, this was the drive that was going to be reformatted for new operating system installation so I had already moved over everything I was keeping onto my other drives