Question SSD not recognized on boot kind of ...Sometimes?

adamghering

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello,

having an issue with my motherboard not recognizing one of my hard drives on boot

sometimes it sees it while booting

sometimes it doesnt see it while booting but then it is recognized by windows but acts a bit slow and funny

sometimes it is not recognized on boot, recognized by windows but works fine

sometimes it works fine and is recognized by both

Things Ive done:
Ive reseated the drive several times,
replaced the data cable

wondering what else I could do to resolve this problem.

asus Z10pe-D16 ws
3 ssd drivs
samsung nvme 256 gb boot drive
samsung evo 850 1tb (never have any problems with this one. it works fine
WD blue 1tb (this is the one that has issues)

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Download a trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

If it detects multiple "communication errors", or pending/bad blocks, backup the 1TB drive immediately and replace it.

You could also run a surface read test in Hard Disk Sentinel. On a 1TB drive this will take 2 to 3 hours.

I've had similar problems when the SATA data leads were corroded or not plugged in properly.

adamghering

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
too late I got a drive to transfer to while the other one was still semi functional...in the process of formatting the new drive the old one took its last gasp and I was unable to transfer anything...I did find a back up I had already had of some important data so thats a win there but I did lose a bit of stuff. mostly inconsequential....

Also, started an RMA with western digital so I have a new drive on the way...not sure I want it though
just a tip
Western Digital Blue S510 is noted to be a faulty drive. WD is clogged up with RMA s for this model and are sending out red drives for the replacements as apparently all the Blue models are just trash. 3-6 months is all youll get out of them..

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
After the debacle three years ago, WD changed the description of their Red (NAS) drives and admitted that many of them were SMR and hence quite unsuitable for use in FreeNAS and TrueNAS Core RAID-Z arrays.

They created a "new" range of CMR drives and named them Red Pro. These can be used in RAID-Z arrays without fear of lengthy re-silvering times.

Depending on availability, you might get a slower Red SMR drive as a replacement. If your faulty 1TB Blue drive was CMR, you're entitled to ask for a Red/Red Pro CMR replacement