SSD Performance In Crysis 2, World Of Warcraft, And Civilization V

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
If it doesn't improve FPS I don't see competitive gamers adding SSD's to their rigs for nothing but main OS drive.
Longer loading times are not crucial when all you want is to frag your enemies!

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
This just confirmed what I knew already. I will probably upgrade to a SSD with my next build, but they are still so bloody expensive for the storage they offer. Plus, SSD are supposed to have better reliability compared to magnetic drives.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I took WoW off my SSD for 2 reasons: space and performance. WoW is just way too big of a folder with addons and everything else it was around 35GB and like this article states the start and initial load is really the only benefit. Once you are in the world (of warcraft) it's not used.

I'd like to see how the witcher stacks up with SSD. You are constantly having to load different areas the entire game so I made sure to have that on the SSD while playing it hoping to reduce the load times. Would like to see if that really paid off or not.

Nnymrod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
It's all about the bottleneck, which isn't storage for actually playing a game. That said, SSDs are definitely cool, and I have one.

AlexIsAlex

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
So it looks to me like game loading and level loading is not significantly hard-disk bound, if the disk is busy for such a short period of time. For example, loading a Crysis 2 level taking 58s, of which the disk is busy for 2.

Does that mean if you had an infinitely fast disk, the level loading would take 56s? In which case, where is the bottleneck for level loading? Is it CPU bound? (if so, why isn't CPU usage at 100% when loading a level?) Memory? Graphics card?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
There was supposed to be a comparison with a 1TB Barracuda, but nothing made it into the article itself. How hard could it be to display two adjacent bars on every graph instead of 1? E.g. red for the SSD and blue for the HDD.

celuloid

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Why don't we see how long are those loading times with HDD drive? Maybe we find out 2x faster loading is not worth 30x times more money per GB.

executor2

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I bought my SSD for 2 reasons:
1. Level loading with dragon age ( which dramatically improved over my 1 TB Samsung F3 , in reality the level loads 2x faster from 1 minute to around 22-28 seconds )
2. My OS which was transfer to the SSD ( which brought faster windows loading , extremely faster shutdowns , instant application lunch , and better multitasking because i have my browsers on the SSD )

If any of you don't wanna invest into a SSD believe me , IT IS WORTH IT !
If you wait for performance to not cost you , you will wait an eternity.

60GB SSD CORSAIR NOVA FORCE

G

From a pure readability point-of-view, it would be helpful to add a small summary chart on the last page that says
- The more randomly data is accessed, the more performance boost is given by an SSD
- The higher the queue depth is, the more performance boost is given by an SSD
- The higher the transfer size is, the more performance boost is given by an SSD
- The more (less?) write operations you have, the the more (less?) performance boost is given by an SSD

Otherwise interesting read, thanks!

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Pretty bad game picks for use of an SSD, once I am in game in Civ5 there is no more loading and those games can go for hourrrrssss. Only time I load in WoW is entering an instance and load times are very bearable. Not sure about crisis2.

I put Oblivion on my SSD and that was a fantastic idea, there are loading times at least every 20 mins or so in that one, and sometimes within 2 mins. Fallout would be another good one for it, similar load times and all. Witcher would be a good one, I'm wondering about NWN, Dragon Age and the Mass Effect series but it's been a little while since I've played those and can't remember what the load times are like.

Shadowgargos

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I would like to see League of Legends included in this benchmark metric, since the game has attracted 15 million users, and even though it's Online, SSD's & HDD's play a crucial roll in load times for the game.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
how about comparison between drives in RAID 0?

I imagine since large capacity SSD are VERY expensive, most people use 2 or more middle-of-the-road SSDs in RAID 0 striping method...

I hear 10000RPM HDDs are very fast in loading when in RAID 0 configuration...

I imagine in real world situation, 2 of 10000RPM HDDs in RAID 0 are just as fast as 2 of the most SSDs in RAID 0....

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]If it doesn't improve FPS I don't see competitive gamers adding SSD's to their rigs for nothing but main OS drive.Longer loading times are not crucial when all you want is to frag your enemies![/citation]
Meh, the faster I can start Fragging, the better...

But while I can NOT live without an SSD as a boot drive, I CAN live with my games being on a 3-way RAID-0 of 10,000 RPM Raptors...

achoo2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
This article is useless, Andrew. Show me concrete level load-times using a HD and SSD rather than abstract information about IO patterns and leaving me to synthesize possible comparisons.

G

I still dont get it. Does it smoothen the stuttering in games? But if you save the money, and get a better GPU, there wouldn't be stuttering in the first place now would there?

G

Results of loading maps for Battlefield Badcompany 2 would be nice.
Maybe even for DX9 and DX11 as there is noticable difference in startup speed of two on some PCs.
Keep up the good work.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]Gameplay: Nearly all writes.Doesn't this reduce the life of a SSD?[/citation]
so does driving your car, but I bought my car to drive, so i'm gonna drive it,, may last me 5 years, may last me 50

I bought an SSD,, it should last 5-10 years regardless of the consumer usage, when was the last time you used a hard drive for that long before you moved on to something faster & bigger? I think anyone worried about the life of newer SSDs should not be worried anymore with things such as TRIM enabled

jixser

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
So where's the comparison of load times in game between the 2 drives? Did I just not see it? It's the one thing I came to this article to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS