Ssd plus two 1tb data drives

rex7467

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello, Well, I lost another Seagate 1tb hard drive last week on my i7 htpc. Right now I have a little over 500gb of media files looking for a new home. I have ordered an Intel x-25 ssd and 2 WD 1tb ears green drives. Windows 7 and a few regularly used programs will go on the ssd. I would like suggestions on how best to utilize the other 2 drives so that I can maximize speed and security. I do have a home server that I use for backup, but it seems that you can never have enough backup these days. I understand only the very basics of RAID, but have no experience it setting it up.

Solution
You should not use RAID if the SSD will be on the same controller. SSDs operating under a RAID controller (even if they are not themselves in a RAID array) cannot run Windows 7 TRIM commands.

If you must run RAID, then I believe that Intel has a program called SSD Optimizer that you can use to force a scheduled TRIM command on the X-25 drives. If you scheduled this to run every day, then, I imagine it probably would be fine, but not ideal.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
You should not use RAID if the SSD will be on the same controller. SSDs operating under a RAID controller (even if they are not themselves in a RAID array) cannot run Windows 7 TRIM commands.

If you must run RAID, then I believe that Intel has a program called SSD Optimizer that you can use to force a scheduled TRIM command on the X-25 drives. If you scheduled this to run every day, then, I imagine it probably would be fine, but not ideal.

Solution

rex7467

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks. I didn't know if you could separate your primary drive out from a RAID configuration. I only have a single controller, so I guess that settles that.