[SOLVED] SSD power failure

Solution
Handling?

Most hard drives of any type will survive ordinary power outages without damage.

But you may be referring to data loss, rather than permanent damage to the drive?

Or you may be referring to a direct and nearby lightning strike?

I have used an ancestor of the MX500 for a decade without incident, including going through quite a few power outages.

If you had a power outage and now have problems, a failure of the drive probably wouldn't be first on my list of suspicions.

The MX500 is said to protect "data at rest", but I'm not clear on the details of that.

Not clear on the details of the following features either.

These are all the advanced features the MX500 supports:
  • Dynamic Write Acceleration
  • Redundant...
Handling?

Most hard drives of any type will survive ordinary power outages without damage.

But you may be referring to data loss, rather than permanent damage to the drive?

I have used an ancestor of the MX500 for a decade without incident, including going through quite a few power outages.

If you had a power outage and now have problems, a failure of the drive probably wouldn't be first on my list of suspicions.

The MX500 is said to protect "data at rest", but I'm not clear on the details of that.

Not clear on the details of the following features either.

These are all the advanced features the MX500 supports:
  • Dynamic Write Acceleration
  • Redundant Array of Independent NAND (RAIN)
  • Multistep Data Integrity Algorithm
  • Adaptive Thermal Protection
  • Active Garbage Collection

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 2, 2021
Handling?

Thanks for the quick reply, i only worried about permanent damage since at my area power loss happen sometimes and very unexpected disregard to weather. I've read some threads online seeing ssd is more susceptible than hdd, is it really true?

Here's a quote from Crucial's own spec sheet on the MX500:

"Integrated Power Loss Immunity: .......protects your data swiftly and efficiently, so if your system suddenly shuts down, you keep all your saved work".

Make of that what you will.

I cannot recall anything about SSDs being more prone to damage in power losses. I can't say one way or another.

Needless to say, you should have at least 2 copies of any important data. Worse case scenario: your SSD drops dead due to a power outage. You lose no data because you have a backup. You buy a new drive, reinstall Windows, restore your backed up data, and carry on.

Dec 2, 2021
Here's a quote from Crucial's own spec sheet on the MX500:

"Integrated Power Loss Immunity: .......protects your data swiftly and efficiently, so if your system suddenly shuts down, you keep all your saved work".

Make of that what you will.

I cannot recall anything about SSDs being more prone to damage in power losses. I can't say one way or another.

Needless to say, you should have at least 2 copies of any important data. Worse case scenario: your SSD drops dead due to a power outage. You lose no data because you have a backup. You buy a new drive, reinstall Windows, restore your backed up data, and carry on.
Thanks for your inputs