SSD Recognized in Bios but not in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherTyler

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
I just got a Sandisk Ultra 2 960gb SSD so I could transfer my steam library to it and leave my 500gb 850 evo for OS and documents but i've run into a problem. In the Bios under BBS Boot Priorities it lists the Sandisk SSD and on board explorer it recognizes that it's plugged in but here is where it gets confusing for me. For the boot priority list it doesn't allow me to make Sandisk the second drive to be run on boot, just Samsung 850 Evo then UEFI Hard Disk (the only way my ssd got recognized originally when I built this computer was putting the computer on UEFI+Legacy Mode). So the Bios atleast knows i have this other SSD but when I boot up and log into windows (I have Windows 10) it doesn't show the second SSD in file explorer. What should I do?

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Right click the start button and click Disk Management. Look for the new SSD in the bottom panel. It is probably Offline. Right click where it says the Disk # and put it Online and assign it a drive letter. It may need to be formatted.

You have to initilize it and format it.

Also the reason why it doesn't show in the boot menu is because UEFI Boot requires a UEFI Installed OS otherwise it will not show, unlike legacy BIOS boot you can select what ever hard drive.

For the drive log into Windows. Right click the start menu. Pretty sure Computer Manger or Disk management is in the list. I don't have my W10 PC in front of me right now. If not then Click on Start menu --> File Explorer --> on the left side Right click on This PC and then Manage.

Once in Computer Manager click on Disk management. It should ask you to initilize a new disk. If not it is ok. If it does just set it up as a MBR Disk. Then in the list of disk at the bottom you should see your new SSD with a black line over it. Right click on that and then New Volume. Then just next though everything. Select Quick Format and NTFS as the file system. and you are good to go.

mrodnyc

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
OMG THANK YOU!!!! I've been trying to fix this crap for hours

Dec 25, 2020
Thank you so much!

You have to initilize it and format it.

Also the reason why it doesn't show in the boot menu is because UEFI Boot requires a UEFI Installed OS otherwise it will not show, unlike legacy BIOS boot you can select what ever hard drive.

For the drive log into Windows. Right click the start menu. Pretty sure Computer Manger or Disk management is in the list. I don't have my W10 PC in front of me right now. If not then Click on Start menu --> File Explorer --> on the left side Right click on This PC and then Manage.

Once in Computer Manager click on Disk management. It should ask you to initilize a new disk. If not it is ok. If it does just set it up as a MBR Disk. Then in the list of disk at the bottom you should see your new SSD with a black line over it. Right click on that and then New Volume. Then just next though everything. Select Quick Format and NTFS as the file system. and you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.