[SOLVED] SSD Reliability

Dec 13, 2019
I’m in the process of picking out a new SSD (M.2 or SATA, doesn’t matter) and I can’t find a single drive or manufacturer under the sun that isn’t pestered with reviews spelling doom and gloom for the drive.
Top helpful on Amazon or the likes all say “FAILED AFTER 3 MONTHS “ or “CUSTOMER SERVICE HORRIBLE”

My question comes down to this: is there an SSD actually worth getting that isn’t seemingly plagued with immediate failures, or are these people in the reviews just outliers?

Solution
you're basing this on amazon reviews where most people don't know anything about what they buy and most SSD drives on amazon are off brand cheap chinese drives. i have a 250GB samsung evo 850 SATA SSD drive i bought more than 5 years ago that has no problems. i also upgraded an old laptop with a WD blue SATA SSD drive that has been running problem free for 3 years now.

any drives by brands like samsung, crucial, or western digital all are reliable
you're basing this on amazon reviews where most people don't know anything about what they buy and most SSD drives on amazon are off brand cheap chinese drives. i have a 250GB samsung evo 850 SATA SSD drive i bought more than 5 years ago that has no problems. i also upgraded an old laptop with a WD blue SATA SSD drive that has been running problem free for 3 years now.

Solution
Dec 13, 2019

Thanks for the reply. Yeah amazon reviews can be very all over the place in terms of being able to trust them (usually they’re a bit off their rockers). I think I’ll spring for a Samsung EVO 500GB.

Heh, SSDs are usually pretty reliable. Also don't forget that you aren't getting a good snapshot of the general populace. People are WAY more likely to post their bad experiences in a review than their good ones.

I've got a really old Intel SSD, like pre-300 series, and it still works just fine in my wife's daily driver machine. It is right around 10 years old.

I've used over time Pny, Crucial, Samsung in mostly 2.5in sata form and 2 samsung 970 m.2's and a crucial m.2 mx500.
For me the Samsung's have been the best.
The crucials mx300 and mx500 has been my problem but good customer service from crucial for replacement.
On the 2x replacements sent back on Friday's and got them back by Friday the next week.
I my pay more for the samsungs but the speeds and reliability hasn't let me down.

So take some of those reviews with a grain of salt.
You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time is soo true.

popatim

Titan
I have yet to have an SSD fail on me.
I personally still have and use daily a Patriot Pyro Se 64GB that I ordered as soon as it hit Newegg back in 2011.
My next oldest drive is a Samsung 830 , also from 2011 and still used daily; 24/7 actually since its in the livingroom HTPC.

USAFRet

Titan
Amazon/Newegg reviews are worth exactly what you paid for them.
Sure, you see the "It died in 3 months!!"
You don't see the hundreds of thousands of other people that had zero issues.

(you find that exact same review thing for any device)

Consumer grade SSD's from the major manufacturers are quite reliable.
I've had 1 SSD die on me...a month past its 3 year warranty. SanDisk gave me a new one anyway.

The 2x Samsung 840 EVOs in my parts list below are just over 5 years old. Still going strong, and performance tests show just as good as the 1 year old 860 EVOs, also in this same system.

Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk, Intel, WD Blue or Black....I'd not hesitate to use any of those. And I do.
My systems in the house are all SSD only.

TRENDING THREADS