SSD still slower than tradtional hard drive...

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Just got a new motherboard that is SATA 3.0 compliant and this damn SSD is still not running any faster than a head and platter drive. I was told that even without TRIM that an SSD should still be significantly faster than a conventional hard drive. Was I given a load of hogwash, or am I missing something here?

check that the ssd is plugged into the the 6g intel ssd sata port and the bios is set to achi not ide or raid.
if you did a clean install of windows check that you installed both the system partion and windows onto the ssd and not the hard drive. (most people unplug the hard drive to make sure the ssd is the target for windows install).
check in the bios that the ssd is the first boot device. with computer and cold post boot speed there two things that makes windows 7/windows 8 boot speed. one is the mb bios..most times that speed is set by the vendor os. you make be able to speed it up by turning off mb splash screen or turning on quick boot. if the mb has two bios (efi and the old dos bios) turning one of them off will speed cmos boot speed. the other part is from the cmos handoff to the windows desktop. you can turn off windows gui and in windows startup turn everything off other then your anti bios. on a new install make sure you have the intel chipset drivers or the newest chipset drivers loaded .and the intel raipid storage drivers installed.
when you run some ssd drive test..run them with all 0 or all ones tests. some of them use uncompressable data that slows the test down..some use compressible data..so the numbers can be different.

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Mainly loading times and copying files. The OS load time is still the same... I have heard people say that it should be like turning on a light switch after POST has cleared and boot begins. SSD is Mushkin Chronos. I have:

Motherboard's northbridge chipset is the AMD 870, and the southbridge is AMD 850

RAM is 4GB of DDR333 at 1600

Athlon II triple core 3.1GHz

PSU is Antec Earth Watt 800

Is the OS going to matter if TRIM is disabled anyhow?

The Chronos is an entry level SSD ..... the Chronos Deluxe is the speed demon. Regardless however, the SSD should be way faster than any HD.

How'd the OS and everything else get on the SSD ? Fresh Install w/ no HD connected (Good idea) or image transfer (bad idea).

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Yes. Without TRIM it will function even slower than an HDD. Save your specs and look at it after you've fixed all this.

Rathine

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

This seems to contradict what everyone else has said...... that the SSD will run faster than a head and platter even if TRIM is not enabled.

And it is correct. After a long time without TRIM, it will slow down some, but it will still beat the fastest HDD's.

Whats best on SSD, even if u get low on space,

even with less than 1MB, it still remains fast, while HDD would get super slow.

Correct. All SSDs use Garbage Collection along with TRIM to maintain drive performance.

So even if TRIM is not working on your drive all you have to do is Log Off (not Shut down) occasionally to allow GC to recover drive performance.

Apple's operating system just started to support TRIM in 2012, yet people have been swapping their HDDs for SSDs for years.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
When I first installed my SSD, I had no reason to erase anything for about 2 weeks, and this is what I got for performance. Since then, I regularly gratuitously erase things and empty the bin. (IIRC you have to empty the bin in order to trigger TRIM and GC.) Notice the write speeds.

"Your results may vary."

AS SSD Benchmark 1.6.4237.30508
------------------------------
Name: SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device
Firmware: CXM03B1Q
Controller: msahci
Offset: 103424 K - OK
Size: 119.24 GB
Date: 4/29/2012 7:55:12 AM
Sequential: