[SOLVED] Ssd won't show up as a Bootable device but it shows up everywhere else.

Sep 16, 2021
Me and a friend have spent literal hours trying to figure out this mystery.

So I recently upgraded my pc. I was on a bugdet so I only transfered my old hdd to my new pc. It has all my files including OS.

I'm trying set the ssd as a bootable device so I can transfer everything to that. But it won't show up in bios. We were able to download OS onto the ssd resulting in both the hdd and the ssd having OS on it. For some reason the pc established the ssd as the main OS because now I can even boot back to the old OS on the hdd?

We've done everything we can think of to try to fix this.

We looked at all bios settings.

Unplugged the hdd and booted with just the ssd and that didn't work

Looked at driver manager and windows even says it should be Bootable.

I have everything on that hdd and I'm just trying to move everything from the hdd to the ssd without any problems.

It keeps booting with the hdd only and not the ssd. If something happens to the hdd all my stuff is gone so we're trying to not have that as the main boot device.

I can't think of anything else that could possible cause this to not work.

Specs:

Power supply: Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt, GOLD, Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020200-NA)

Ssd: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Hard Drive with V-NAND Technology for Gaming, Graphic Design, MZ-V7S1T0B/AM

Motherboard: ASROCK Z590M PRO4 LGA1200/ Intel Z590/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard

Hdd: (I don't know the specific brand as it came with my old pre-built pc)
Storage Type: HDD
Total Storage Capacity: 1000 gigabytes

Hard Drive Capacity: 1000 gigabytes

Hard Drive Interface: SATA

Hard Drive RPM: 7200 revolutions per minute

We've both tried so many option and don't know what to do!

Any information you need I'll try my best to give it. Right now we've just given up and are using the hdd right now.

Solution

So I recently upgraded my pc. I was on a bugdet so I only transfered my old hdd to my new pc. It has all my files including OS.

I'm trying set the ssd as a bootable device so I can transfer everything to that. But it won't show up in bios. We were able to download OS onto the ssd resulting in both the hdd and the ssd having OS on it. For some reason the pc established the ssd as the main OS because now I can even boot back to the old OS on the hdd?

Looked at driver manager and windows even says it...

I have everything on that hdd and I'm just trying to move everything from the hdd to the ssd without any problems.

It keeps booting with the hdd only and not the ssd. If something happens to the hdd all my stuff is gone so we're trying to not have that as the main boot device.

Specs:

Power supply: Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt, GOLD, Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020200-NA)

Ssd: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Hard Drive with V-NAND Technology for Gaming, Graphic Design, MZ-V7S1T0B/AM

Motherboard: ASROCK Z590M PRO4 LGA1200/ Intel Z590/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard

Any information you need I'll try my best to give it. Right now we've just given up and are using the hdd right now.
It would be best if you freshly installed Windows since you changed hardware and most likely will need new drivers. But if you don't want to do that you need to use cloning software to clone your old hdd onto your new ssd. Most people here use the Macrium software to clone drives. Its free on their website so you could check it out. You have to be careful when cloning since are 4 partitions on a Windows drive and you need to clone all 4 of them in the same order that they appear on the old hdd.

Solution

Specs:

Unplug the hdd.
Connect the ssd.
Boot from the windows install flash stick.
Install windows on the ssd.
Remove the flash stick.
See if the ssd will boot.

What is driver manager?

USAFRet

Titan
Remove ALL drives except the SSD.
Install the OS on the SSD

Sep 16, 2021
It would be best if you freshly installed Windows since you changed hardware and most likely will need new drivers. But if you don't want to do that you need to use cloning software to clone your old hdd onto your new ssd. Most people here use the Macrium software to clone drives. Its free on their website so you could check it out. You have to be careful when cloning since are 4 partitions on a Windows drive and you need to clone all 4 of them in the same order that they appear on the old hdd.
We might clone but im not sure if itll work. Its not showing up as a blank disk because we installed os on it. Plus even though its booting onto the old hdd, windows for some reason is booting the OS from the ssd, if that makes sense

Sep 16, 2021
Look this is what I mean it shows stuff on then ssd because windows keeps booting up in ssd but I won't boot up a bootable device

View: https://imgur.com/a/6wuWUUT

Here ya go
So Disk 0 - is old HDD and Disk 1 is new SSD. Correct?

See that small 100MB EFI System partition. That is bootloader.
Without bootloader system can not boot.
Disk 0 is bootable (because it contains bootloader), Disk 1 is not bootable.

Bootloader gets created, when you install windows. But if bootloader already exists on any of drives, then new bootloader doesn't get created.
That's why it is important to have only single drive connected, while installing windows.

What you can do, is either reinstall windows (clean install) with only single drive connected or
you can create bootloader manually.

Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any error, then stop immediately and show screenshot.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition x
(select 931.50GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H: /f UEFI

After this is done (no errors), then
shutdown
disconnect HDD,
boot into BIOS,
make sure first boot device is Windows Boot Manager on SSD,
boot into windows.

If all goes well, then later you can reconnect HDD (shutdown first).

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

So I did exit and then bcdboot c:\windows /s H: /f UEFI this came up. Am I safe to shut down now?
Wrong command syntax.
After H: there should be a space symbol.
Incorrect:
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:/f UEFI
correct:
bcdboot c:\windows /s H: /f UEFI

Resulting message should be "Boot files successfully created".

Cach-them-cai-dat-Windows-1110-vao-danh-sach-menu-696x301.png

Last edited: