Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Hello there. I recently upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and SSD, and I am getting various SSL errors across all browsers. My internet connection says it is stable, and the troubleshooters in windows cannot find any errors. I have tested the PC with different networks, reinstalling windows 10 home and windows 10 pro, wired and wireless connection, a different boot drive, reinstalling drivers, resetting network adapters, different RAM modules... I have also tried all the basic troubleshooting for the errors that pop up, but with no success. I haven't tampered with BIOS and would like to avoid doing so. I do have a TPM module, but it is disabled because I am not currently using BitLocker. I am 99% sure that everything is compatible, or at least I haven't found anything saying it wouldn't be.

I have generally stable connection, but then randomly whatever browser I am using will stop loading all pages, and gives one the following errors (in order of frequency):

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
Error code: Out of Memory
ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT

Sometimes it loads pages without any of the formatting, and many missing images. However, it usually recovers after a few moments, and loads everything just fine. I am worried that it is the motherboard, because that's the major component I upgraded. I only have a few days until the last day that I can return it, so any and all solutions are very appreciated.
(EDIT): I can no longer return the motherboard, but would still like to find the issue

Here is my system information (motherboard was upgraded from the AsRock A320M-HDV r4.0, which had no errors and worked perfectly fine):

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming (bought used)
- BIOS REV: 4801
RAM: Team Elite Plus 16GB DDR4-2400 CL 16
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 280x Direct CU II TOP

LAN: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit
WAN: Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11ac

SSD: Team Group MP33 M.2 2280 256GB
Two 2.5" HDD's

PSU: Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze

Let me know if there is any needed information and I will retrieve it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your help

Last edited:

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Where did you source your installer for your OS? What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? You have one more BIOS version pending update(4801). See if that alleviates some of your issues.
I installed the ISO file from the windows 10 site onto a flash drive from another PC and then installed windows 10 onto my drive in my main PC. Updating BIOS will be an absolute last resort if possible, I want to make sure it is no other errors before attempting that.

My PSU is the Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze. I bought it two years ago brand new

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Internet reports seem to indicate it's a flaw in a feature of the Killer network adapter's drivers. Turn off "Stream Detect" in Killer Control Center and see if that fixes things. Then try updating the network adapter drivers to the latest available on Asus site. :)

https://support.google.com/chrome/t...rd-mac-alert-is-becoming-a-real-problem?hl=en
Um, I don't have a killer network card, and I am seeing this in all browsers not just chrome so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that.

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Apologies, I quickly saw your mobo model and thought it was one of the models with the Killer chipset.

The problem will be affecting all traffic, not just in Chrome, I just linked that Chrome forums thread for reference.

For your model mobo, check the ROG GameFirst settings and try disabling any per-application or per-connection optimisation if enabled - maybe even uninstalling the whole app. It's entirely unnecessary bloat.

Check your machine for Killer Control Center anyway, sometimes OEM crapware like that gets dropped on by Windows without user notification. Asus has priors with stuff like Armoury Crate auto-installing from the UEFI by default (yuck), between OEMs and Microsoft trying to auto-install Candy Crush, Twitter or Minecraft I'm never surprised when other things sneak on.

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Apologies, I quickly saw your mobo model and thought it was one of the models with the Killer chipset.

The problem will be affecting all traffic, not just in Chrome, I just linked that Chrome forums thread for reference.

For your model mobo, check the ROG GameFirst settings and try disabling any per-application or per-connection optimisation if enabled - maybe even uninstalling the whole app. It's entirely unnecessary bloat.

Check your machine for Killer Control Center anyway, sometimes OEM crapware like that gets dropped on by Windows without user notification. Asus has priors with stuff like Armoury Crate auto-installing from the UEFI by default (yuck), between OEMs and Microsoft trying to auto-install Candy Crush, Twitter or Minecraft I'm never surprised when other things sneak on.
No worries!
I will take a look for any programs on my machine that I didn't put there purposely. So far with the BIOS update, it looks like most the errors have been cleared, and I've only received one 'not enough memory' error so far

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020

I couldn't find any extra programs that may have been affecting the system. I am unfortunately still seeing the errors

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
The CPU I have is officially supported, but the list of supported RAM frequencies for the Motherboard start at 3400Mhz. Would that perhaps be the issue?

I am seeing far more errors and can barely use the machine for any internet-related task

Last edited:
I seriously doubt it is a hardware issue, especially something like memory.

The best first test is get a linux USB boot image. This runs completely from the USB stick and will not touch or be affected by the windows installed.

If this too has issues then you really start suspecting hardware but I would not have a clue.

If it does work on linux then you have to figure out what you have loaded into windows that cause this. Maybe format the driver completely load windows but nothing else other than the drivers required. Make sure not to load any bloatware that is packaged with motherboard or video drivers.