[SOLVED] Stability Help Plz! G.Skill Trident 4000mhz 17-17-17-37 1.35v (4x8gb)

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hi

I bought two separate G.Skill Trident Z Royal kits each at 4000mhz 17-17-17-37 and 1.35v (4x8gb) timings from NewEgg. Im wondering if you can tell me if my stress testing I’ve done is sufficient for gaming/steaming/moderate workloads or whether I should RMA them and wait for a 4 stick kit XMP to come available. I have about 10-12 days left to return to NewEgg so appreciate the quick response.

The four sticks have the same serial # except 87, 88, 89, 90 at the end – which leads me to think that they were all created in a row despite them being in separate kits. I would think that this would make them more compatible together since 4 stick kits are usually 4 sticks in succession (albeit XMP tested together as well, which isnt the case here since they are 2 seperate kits).

I stress tested both kits individual (2 sticks at a time) – both handled fine on XMP 1 and 2 under Prime Large FFT for 1 hour.

My motherboard is a ASUS Strix z490 Gaming G – WiFi (its on the QVL for the 4 stick pack and 2 stick packs of 4000mhz CL17). My PC has a i9-10900K at 5.0ghz (oc verified by Silicon Lottery, their OC is below for reference) where I bought it. My system is under custom water with 65-68c temps under full load.

Silicon Lottery binned the following OC on my CPU:
• Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP II (i changed it XMP 1 for this situation)
• AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: 1
• CPU Core Ratio: By Core Usage
o Turbo Ratio Limit 0: 52
o Turbo Ratio Cores 0: 3
o Turbo Ratio Limit 1: 51
o Turbo Ratio Cores 1: 6
o Turbo Ratio Limit 2: 50
o Turbo Ratio Cores 2: 10
• Digi+ VRM
o CPU Load-line Calibration: Level 3 (they told me to do LLC 4 based on my mobo weaker vram cooling)
• Internal CPU Power Management
o Long Duration Package Power Limit: 230
o Short Duration Package Power Limit: 230
• CPU Core/Cache Voltage: Manual Mode
• CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.350

My mobo manual states that of the 4 dimm slots, you want to start with slots 2 and 4.

So from left to right I started with these sticks (ending 2 digits from serials) 89 – 87 – 90 – 88. As such, the kits were together in their respective dual channels

This config posted to windows, but failed to load Modern Warfare Warzone. XMP2 failed (understandably since that was rated for 2 sticks). XMP1 was the one that posted. I got a lot of BSODs though and seemed unstable

So then I switched the sticks around and went 87 – 89 – 88 – 90 and XMP1 (just timings rest auto in bios). So 89 and 90 were in slots 2 and 4 now.

This posted to windows, ran MW Warzone and GTA for 3 hours of gaming while streaming with Streamlabs OBS and no crashes. Further it handle a typical workload I do over night running between 50-70% cpu and 50% ram utilization for 12hrs with no crashes or BSODs.

However, it only ran stable in Prime Large FFT for 45 mins before threads started stopping. By the 1 hr mark I had 8 of 20 threads stop. But prime was still running on the remaining 12 threads

So my question is – are my real world uses of the system (gaming/stream, video rending, or other workload processing tasks) enough of a benchmark to let the RMA window run out and stick with these ram? Or should Prime really run stable at XMP indefinitely and should I RMA them, buy some cheap ram on Amazon that I can return later, and wait for a 4 pack of the 4000mhz cl17 come in stock?

Cost is not an issue, and i want 4 dimms filled of the royal since it goes with my builds looks. In case you want to recommend 2x16 ram im not interested.

Appreciate you thoughts and reply!

Solution
I would contact G.Skill and get them to RMA the two separate kits for one 4 stick kit. That way they are actually tested to work as a 4 stick kit -- 2 identical kits are NOT guaranteed to run well.

Memtest and Prime should run stable.

RealBeast

Titan
I would contact G.Skill and get them to RMA the two separate kits for one 4 stick kit. That way they are actually tested to work as a 4 stick kit -- 2 identical kits are NOT guaranteed to run well.

Memtest and Prime should run stable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS