Starcraft 2 around the corner ????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Yea but the game is ten years old! Give Blizzard some credit man!

On a side note, does anyone know how to run this in windowed mode? I just installed the SC disk I got for my 9th birthday(my parents had yet to hear of ESRB).

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
mmm i may just reinstall Diet-blow 2 again and play it online

mmm i rember the good ol days of the Lagger Mancer xD 100+ skeletons!

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I would love to play Starcraft 2, as long as it is not an MMO. I remember back in the days of starcraft, when my Protoss carriers would crush everything in their path. Then I played Diablo 2, and I became addicted for five years... :twisted:

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/?view=full

A sharp-eyed reader points out that Blizzard added three new positions on their job openings page yesterday for a "next-gen MMO."

The company is looking for a lead engine programmer, lead tools programmer and lead technical artist. While the reader theorizes that this is for a console port of World of Warcraft, my money is on World of Starcraft or something like it.

try diablo 3 :D

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/?view=full

A sharp-eyed reader points out that Blizzard added three new positions on their job openings page yesterday for a "next-gen MMO."

The company is looking for a lead engine programmer, lead tools programmer and lead technical artist. While the reader theorizes that this is for a console port of World of Warcraft, my money is on World of Starcraft or something like it.

Remember, yesterday was also when Blizzard told us that they intend to announce a new product at th Worldwide Invitational in Korea on May 19. They also said they do plan to revisit the StarCraft universe at some point in the future.

What do you think? A new World of Warcraft, a Starcraft MMO, oooh, maybe Lost Vikings the MMO? Brian Crecente

Job Postings [Blizzard, thanks Ryne]

I'm hoping for a Diablo based MMO. The Diablo Universe is quite frankly the most compelling, interesting and fascinating of any (even Warcraft). Simply because it's much darker, murkier and stays true to the RPG aspect of the story.

I'd also like to see what Diablo Looks like in full 3D. Man those dungeons would be insane. Can you imagine fighting Diablo??? Wow.

Diablo 3 is called Mythos. If you want an invatation to the closed beta, send a private message with the e-mail address you'd like to use for it.

elcold

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I really can't see Blizz making another MMORPG as it would cannibalize the WoW user base, and they would pretty much only gain money off the boxed game sales and not monthly fees as a starcraft or diablo MMORPG would not bring in many people who do not play WoW. I can see a console version as that would open up a new market, but I feel Blizzard needs to make either a regular rpg or rts to help Bnet from being turned into a ghost town, plus they get to keep WoW's user base. I think if they make a very different MMO game from WoW, such as a starcraft MMOFPS or MMORTS, or a PvP based and more mature themed Diablo MMORPG, which would not take as many users away from WoW as a similar MMORPG, thus preserving the WoW cash cow while gaining more monthly paying customers in the process, in addition to the money from the actual games sold. Those options make the most sense in money terms, which is how (I think) blizzard decides what games to do.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I posted this in the games section but it's just not getting enough love. I thought you guys may be interested. Enjoy.

http://www.diablo3.com/cmps_index.php?page=game-coming

It took a good day of calls and emails, but Blizzard just got back to us about the rumor floating around that Starcraft 2 will be announced next month during their World Wide Invitation in Seoul, South Korea.
great!!
we really should change this forum into "general forum", instead of "CPU forum".

seems like everyone, whether a newb or not, always posts here for something OTHER than CPU.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Flagship studios is not part of blizzard ,nor is it affiliated. Rumor states that the flagship boys created Diablo and left.

With how slow Blizzard can be at releasing some of their titles (the precursor to World of Warcraft started years before Starcraft: Ghost, and we all know how well that panned out), so it might as well be considered the sequal to Diablo 2. Granted, it's not based on Diablo, or from Blizzard, but it's still a bit of fun, and has a Diablo feel to it.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Shhh. Just because the same team maybe not be working on Mythos as Hellgate: London, doesn't mean... bah, phooey, Hellgate: London will likely end up being the better game. Still, Mythos is a bit of fun.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Glad to hear you guys liked this piece of news. But com'on now, be serious. Starcraft has got the be the winner in this debate. I spent hours and HOURS playing that game. I remember a network evening at my place, Fri night to Sunday morning, full time gaming. We shot our minds that weekend. 10 guys left my house on the Sunday looking like zombies, and for real. We didnt sleep. No one was talking. There were a lot of inaudible mumbling when people went home, movement was hindered by lack of bodily rest. People stank. Pizza on their shirts. It was horrific. People fell asleep while packing their cars. People were just angry at the world for no reason.

I agree with you that it is a very good game and it deserves a sequel but that much can be said about Diablo. I spent countless hours playing Starcraft but it's nothing compare to the number of hours I sank into Diablo. This game is sickly addictive, so much so that even if the game is 6 years old it still has a huge fan base for a game that old. IMHO, even though it didn't create a new genre when it came out it remains a milestone in the gaming industry. You just have to get a look and see that many of the newer games got their inspiration straight from Diablo and there are certainly good reasons for that.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Diablo 3 is called Mythos. If you want an invatation to the closed beta, send a private message with the e-mail address you'd like to use for it.

:roll: dummy it isnt diablo3..

50% of all writings on the Internet are misconstrued. :lol:

You didn't seem to get what I was saying.

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Starcraft rocked! I want Starcraft2!

On a different note... the last time i checked, starcraft was still software not CPU.

sailer

Splendid
Man, if I look back now, the graphics really sucked.

Well, so did the graphics cards that we had back then when compared to what we have now. And I still play Starcraft from time to time. I just wish there was a way to get the medics from Brood war into the original game.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Man, if I look back now, the graphics really sucked.

Even though I have an 8800GTX, Starcraft is still one of my favorite games, and I play it pretty regularly.

glad to hear this, because i will buy one and I still want to play my favorite game 8)

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I hope it won't take them 10 years to develop it. I already gave up on Starcraft: Ghost.

I don't think Blizzard will take more than three years to finish Starcraft 2, if they officially announce it. Of course, they are terrible at meeting deadlines. At least we will have Hellgate: London to keep us busy for a while, that game looks to be killer.

av1on

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Yep starcraft did look pretty ugly, but then again all the pros deliberately lower all graphics to 0 when they are serious about their gaming-in any game.
The real gold of starcraft is something that almost none of the other RTS games have been able to do as good as Starcraft. And that is maximizing the differences between the factions(or races) while keeping it as balanced as possible. So we have 3 VERY distinct races(and very distinct units within races ) while being able to hold tournaments for some serious cash, so starcraft prevents people exploiting and earning money the dirty way:D. I really think many people still consider starcraft as the epitome of real time strategy games.

avion

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I loved sneaking my guy into an enemy base and using a laser target to drop my nuke. That was always a challenge and so much fun when someone did it to you. You have about 10 secs to find the bastard and take him out before getting destroyed.

LOL reminds me of the time I was in high school and we had network games of SC every weekend. As you know the laser designator has a red dot, and my friends base colour happened to be RED! Hahaha, the dot blended in with the base colour and he had no idea where to look!

Ahh, good times man! 8)

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
The real gold of starcraft is something that almost none of the other RTS games have been able to do as good as Starcraft. And that is maximizing the differences between the factions(or races) while keeping it as balanced as possible. So we have 3 VERY distinct races(and very distinct units within races ) while being able to hold tournaments for some serious cash, so starcraft prevents people exploiting and earning money the dirty way. I really think many people still consider starcraft as the epitome of real time strategy games.

:D Yep, I am one of those people who still consider Starcraft as the epitome of real time strategy games. If the rumors about a fourth race in Starcraft 2 are true, then I look forward to seeing Blizzard balancing all four races.