StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Goes On Sale Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Mighty expensive for a DLC. I'll skip until the price is a bit more reasonable, say under $10.[/citation]

It's not a DLC... It's an expansion.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
For an expansion, it is a little pricey, but not too bad. After playing the first one a lot when it came out, I probably will not be buying this. SC2 was fun for a little while, but quickly showed its flaws. Add on some of the draconian, gamer unfriendly moves that Blizzard has made in the past couple of years and I am definitely staying away. The single player campaign in SC2:WOL was boring anyway, so this expansion probably won't be worth $40 even if I did want it.

revered

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I'd like to get this considering I enjoyed the campaign experience of Wings of Liberty so much. However, I'm not allowing myself to buy another Activision-Blizzard product until well into its life to determine the quality and reception. Their recent work warrants extra caution.

They really did put enough content into Wings of Liberty to justify being called a full game, it is just a very disappointing design concept to not include campaigns for two of your three races in the first game; to expect your gamers to wait to play a story experience for the other other two in 'expansions.' I disagree with that route.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I know a lot of folks hate Blizzard, but I will be stopping by and buying it tonight. I love the Starcraft franchise and will support it.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
$40 dollars, not bad, but for an expansion pack? Is anyone else tired of paying higher prices for games based on the same engines with little tweaks done? Although this one specifically does have a minor price reduction, most games on the market reuse the same engine and offer very little in terms. Especially seeing how slowly mainstream games have been reducing in price.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Blizzard did an amazing job with HotS and I recommend everyone should get it. The campaign was well done, and the multiplayer was done extremely well. Blizzard worked with the community and professional players through a long period of beta testing to bring the best multiplayer experience possible.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]catfishtx[/nom]I know a lot of folks hate Blizzard, but I will be stopping by and buying it tonight. I love the Starcraft franchise and will support it.[/citation]

I loved the starcraft series. However to play devil's advocate, most of the original members of blizzard have gone away. Although this is a normal experience that the gaming industry will see, you also see that blizzard has been shifting its resources to provide the least amount of work with the highest return (IE: "Copy/Paste" game creation). I'd highly urge others in order to stop allowing themselves be duped into thinking their money is going to quality products when most indie titles have far more re playability.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]Chairman Ray[/nom]Blizzard did an amazing job with HotS and I recommend everyone should get it. The campaign was well done, and the multiplayer was done extremely well. Blizzard worked with the community and professional players through a long period of beta testing to bring the best multiplayer experience possible.[/citation]

Inside info (beta/alpha)? Or just from what they posted on their website? Any changes in specific compared to WOL that may make it more appealing?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]childofthekorn[/nom]$40 dollars, not bad, but for an expansion pack? Is anyone else tired of paying higher prices for games based on the same engines with little tweaks done? Although this one specifically does have a minor price reduction, most games on the market reuse the same engine and offer very little in terms. Especially seeing how slowly mainstream games have been reducing in price.[/citation]
It offers quite a bit more than your typical expansion pack, though I agree a lower price tag would've been preferred. For those who preordered it was pretty easy to pick up for $30, a price I find reasonable for the new content.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]childofthekorn[/nom]Inside info (beta/alpha)? Or just from what they posted on their website? Any changes in specific compared to WOL that may make it more appealing?[/citation]
There's a long list of significant changes, though I can't speak from experience as I haven't had the chance to play it myself yet. There's a new UI, revamped engine, a slew of new multiplayer features (many of which have come to WOL as well), new units, a new ~30 mission campaign, etc. I've been watching the multiplayer beta evolve for the past couple months, and it's looking really good. It's too bad you won't be giving HOTS a chance (sounds like you didn't even really give WOL a chance), I think you're going to be missing out on a great RTS.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Haven't played through the whole thing yet but so far I'd say it is worth the money. After the D3 disaster, I was a little hesitant to give any money to Activision/Blizzard, but you have to give credit where it is due and they ended up doing a nice job.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]It's not a DLC... It's an expansion.[/citation]

Semantics. What Blizzard calls an expansion is sold as a DLC for other games (BF, MW, SC2, etc) by companies aren't raping you (yet) for everything you have. Your paying near full price for a couple of levels and 6 extra characters, I buy new games cheaper than that.

I betcha the same people complaining about SimCity, D3, and A:CM buy this and complain. Writings on the wall.

edit: by SC2 I mean Supreme Commander not StarCraft, stupid mistake

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Personally, i will wait a bit until impressions from the comunity. I would buy this in a heartbeat because SC2 was really good, but Diablo 3 was a waste of money. Never again.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Semantics. What Blizzard calls an expansion is sold as a DLC for other games (BF, MW, SC2, etc) by companies aren't raping you (yet) for everything you have. Your paying near full price for a couple of levels and 6 extra characters, I buy new games cheaper than that. I betcha the same people complaining about SimCity, D3, and A:CM buy this and complain. Writings on the wall.edit: by SC2 I mean Supreme Commander not StarCraft, stupid mistake[/citation]

You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. If you ever played any blizzard RTS expansion, you should know that they are the real game changers. SC:BW and W3:TFT both brought the original game to a new height.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Semantics. What Blizzard calls an expansion is sold as a DLC for other games (BF, MW, SC2, etc) by companies aren't raping you (yet) for everything you have. Your paying near full price for a couple of levels and 6 extra characters, I buy new games cheaper than that. I betcha the same people complaining about SimCity, D3, and A:CM buy this and complain. Writings on the wall.edit: by SC2 I mean Supreme Commander not StarCraft, stupid mistake[/citation]

From the first few missions alone, I can see that HOTS definitely changes things up and adds enough content to be called an expansion, and is worth the price point. Personally, I'm pleasantly surprised that it is priced at $40, rather than the nowadays $60 standard for new games.

As one of the people who were deeply disappointed in the Diablo 3 debacle, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Heart of the Swarm is not plagued by the same issues, and looks to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

fudoka711

Distinguished
Just gotta give my 2 cents...this is not a DLC...afaik you can't buy a physical copy of Downloadable content...

At $40 it is a little pricey, but there were plenty of chances to get it for 10% off and maybe with free shipping. I still think its worth it. I've always loved the campaigns in SC and don't think WoL disappointed. I doubt HotS's campaign will disappoint either. It also has more than "a couple of levels".

This is not the same thing as D3 - SCII never had the same problems. Yea Activision owns Blizzard, but that hasn't gotten in the way of Blizzard making SCII great (yes, the original/BW was better though).

Status
Not open for further replies.