StarCraft II NDA Lifted, Details Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
DRM!!......Hmm... is internet access going to be "REQUIRED" for playing SCII?.... even just for the single player mode?

I like SC... but... no LAN... DRM...

hmmm... where is the Blizzard I used to know?.... now the only thing left for me to recognize it is just the "you never know when" type of release date.

With these many of ceazy stuffs... SCII better to be "GREAT" if not "instant classic" when is finally released (sometime NEXT year?... I hope)...

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Well.. I'm sure the pirated version won't have DRM.

Unique CD keys seem to work for most games authenticating to a central server, like battle.net. Maybe they'll add in SecureROM so it can authenticate elsewhere and restrict installs.

Another I'll skip. GG.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Blizz was lost the day they got Vivendi as parent. Gone are the days of putting their gamers first.

Now it's all about the cash and how fast it can be made.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Starcraft 2 will have DLC. I hope the DLC will only be for the single player campaign.

If they release DLC that will affect multiplayer games, such as new units, then everyone who likes to compete on the ladder will have to buy that DLC just to keep up.

Let's say you have a 1900 rating, then blizzard releases new corsairs, devourers and valkyries units as DLC. If I don't buy that particular DLC, I'll be stuck playing with a smaller player pool.

I hope new multiplayer units will be limited to the expansions. They had add the quests and DLC fluff they want for single player, just as long as it doesn't affect multiplayer ladders.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
DRM prevents some from buying games. However Valve made DRM friendly through steam (at least with first party games). Virtually all games have DRM in some shape or form. Internet access is also required with most valve games as well. I have not heard to many complaints their. Prolly cause valve is seen as a hip company.

masterclam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
they must be doing the lack of lan because they know people are going to pirate it to protest the DRM; a real starcraft fan (everyone) would buy the game if it is anything close to the old one (Ive bought 5 or 6 copies over the years). Get your S**t together blizzard.

G

Hmmm, according to the DRM link in the article, online activation (sounds like SecuROM) AND a battle.net account will be required to install the game.

I probably won't be buying this game until the price goes down to or under $20, which is what I did with BioShock and Mass Effect. The original StarCraft doesn't even have copy protection, let alone online activation, although they did add copy protection to WarCraft III.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Let me see, 3 part game now with downloadable content as well and even smaller items to buy from battle-net to please all the kiddies and suck them dry of their cash, is what I think I read. Can you (Blizzard) think of any other way to try and milk us for as much cash as possible. I know subscription fees for battle-net now.
No SC2 for me until a year or two when I can pick it all up in some type of game of the year release or something to that nature.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I do not purchase games with DRM. Ever. If the future of gaming is bloated with nothing but DRM-only games, then I will quit gaming. I enjoy gaming, hell, I love gaming. I have been playing games for a long time, but I refuse to support DRM. It sucks that companies feel they have a right to force their customers into DRM use, but I am not a customer that will be told what to do.

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Almost every game in the world has some form of DRM. DRM is a necessary evil, as the world thinks everything should be free. I don't necessarily agree with all the directions that Blizzard has taken, but if you say you were going to buy a game or not because of DRM, you were probably never going to buy the game. You were very likely going to download it because you knew it would be readily available.

Stardock's Demigod is an interesting case. The game shipped without DRM. 100,000+ downloads within a week caused the servers to shutdown and crash constantly, because they forgot to properly block people even trying to access the servers. A company goes the way of supporting non-DRM methods and ends up paying dearly for it with an unplayable game for those who went out and purchased legitimate copies of the game.

If you go on a LAN tunneling type service, such as Garena or Gameranger, there are thousands upon thousands (maybe a million across all different games and services) that have illegally downloaded the game and play it on these workarounds. If you think about it, perhaps as much as 50% of a game's audience may be people who have downloaded the game illegitimately, and I'm pretty sure any game company is willing to sacrifice the so-stating 5% of people who absolutely refuse to buy a game because of DRM.

My hope is that the DRM that loads up with Starcraft is a simple, smart system. I personally love Steam, as it doesn't require me to keep a bunch of crappy space-wasting disks or remember obscure passwords and logins or have CD-keys written on scraps of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.