[SOLVED] Static IP/Network Sharing questions + Switchs

Aug 26, 2019
Hey guys,

first-time caller long time listener. So I'm usually the computer guy, but I'm not the network guy - we don't have one of those and our deadline is coming up and research isn't going well. I think I'm mixing a lot of terms so I'll try to speak clearly on the issue we're looking into.

We have software coming in that requires us to have clear communication between all devices using it. We have first been told prep a virtual network, then told virtual LAN, now I'm being told just network sharing so they can access each computer IP which needs to be static. My understanding between the differences is that VLAN/Vnet requires a server, while network sharing can just be done through network settings so we can access each computer remotely. Is that correct? This is the only goal I believe with these.

The goal is to create a static IP for 5 devices, as well as create a bank of IP's that are unusable by the public wifi. I think our Comcast router allows this, and I should be fine setting up, but any advice on what to not do or be careful of would be awesome haha.

Once we have the static IPs set up some of the networks will go through a switch. When we pass the cables through the switch, will there be a loss of the static IP? Does the switch require a certain feature in order to keep the static IP? I think I saw something about DHCP forwarding, is that forwarding the DHCP/Static IP? I appreciate everyone's patience reading through my cluelessness and any guidance I may have missed.

Solution
A VLAN would allow traffic to be shielded from other traffic. If security is an issue then VLANs are the best way to protect that traffic.
Your statement about "public "WIFI" makes me curious. How much area are we talking about covering? to have isolated public WIFI (which is a necessary thing, IMO ) may require additional networking
If you have a WIFI router that has a guest capability and that is all you are using for "public WIFI" then you are OK. Otherwise you need somebody with network experience to help you ...

kanewolf

Titan
A VLAN would allow traffic to be shielded from other traffic. If security is an issue then VLANs are the best way to protect that traffic.
Your statement about "public "WIFI" makes me curious. How much area are we talking about covering? to have isolated public WIFI (which is a necessary thing, IMO ) may require additional networking
If you have a WIFI router that has a guest capability and that is all you are using for "public WIFI" then you are OK. Otherwise you need somebody with network experience to help you ...

Solution