Question Static noise on headphones from back/front jacks.

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
Hi. I switched from a USB headphones to a headphones with a jack input and when I plugged it into my motherboard, there was a loud static noise. Normal sound comes, but it is hard to hear due to static crackling.

I've searched the internet, tried many methods such as deleting drivers, reinstalling, formatting, running system without a case (for grounding reasons).

However, none of them helped to fix the problem. So, I took out the motherboard and began to examine it. I found a few scratches where the audio drivers was. Scratches that probably occurred when removing from case and putting back while cleaning MB and GPU.

The rest of the computer is working fine, only the audio part has a problem. Could this is the cause of this problem or is there can be some other reasons? Because I'm thinking of sending it to warranty, they will probably say it's user error and send it back. But if there is another problem is it worth sending or not worth the hassle?

You can find the link of the photos here (there are 4 images)

If they don't accept the warranty, I'm thinking of having it repaired after-market repairs. I will use the Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 Ohm) only with the motherboard. So, it is important for me that it does not lose its quality after repair. Can it lose?

An avarage soundcard exterenal/internal can save me? I probably can't afford a DAC/AMP cause I am a student.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What headphones? Make and model for USB and 1/8" (3.5 mm) plug headphones?

When the headphones are plugged in can you cause the static to change in some manner by gently wiggling and twisting the headphone cables along their length? Especially around the applicable plug.

Also check plugs and ports for signs of damage or obstruction in ports.

Could be a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) mismatch especially if there is some adapter involved.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
What headphones? Make and model for USB and 1/8" (3.5 mm) plug headphones?

When the headphones are plugged in can you cause the static to change in some manner by gently wiggling and twisting the headphone cables along their length? Especially around the applicable plug.

Also check plugs and ports for signs of damage or obstruction in ports.

Could be a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) mismatch especially if there is some adapter involved.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Sorry for lack of information.

Usb headphone is James Donkey 712 and 3.5mm headphones is SONY MDR-ZX660. I was using them because I broke my Blackshark v2 usb some time ago.

Seems like wiggling and twisting the cables does nothing at all. By the way I forgot the mention that 3.5mm working fine on my other devices such as mobile phone, laptop, monitors 3.5mm jac etc..

I don't see any damage or obstruction on mobo's ports. Onyle the damages on images. 3.5mm headphones is very old and frequently used it may have a deffect. However I said that it's working fine on other devices

I don't use any adaptor/extension, straight into motherboard. The 3.5mm headphones are TRRS Plug I see.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Static is usually caused by a bad ground. I'd do a very thorough inspection of the jack itself, where the solder is, even the tinyest hair infraction between ground and data will cause all sorts of issues.

Motherboard that costs several $hundreds, thousands of manhours into perfecting audio codecs, telemetry and such, all respondent to a 10¢ cheap, mass produced jack.

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
It's not just a static TV sound. Its more louder, deeper. Nothing else can be hear but static noise. Also, when I move my cursor or click it the sound responses.

In the morning, I checked the jack connector and its surroundings , there is no visible damage. I cleaned the inside of the jack with a cotton swab, but nothing changed. The only visible damage is on the motherboard.

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
Thank you for your care,

I am currently using Razer Viper Ultimate, with a 2.4ghz usb adaptor plugged in razer dongle to pc.

There is no peripherals plugged to copmputer other than mice and keyboard. I am unplugging the headphones with usb sound card while testing jacks.

I tried various input/outputs:
  • Plugging razer mouse straight to MB with cable.
  • Plugging 2.4ghz usb adaptor to MB.
  • Tried with another mice (Logitech G300s).
  • Tried only plugging mice, keyboard and nothing plugged other than jack headphone one by one.
  • Tried with and w/o ethernet cable plugged in.
  • Tried separately with DP cable and HDMI cable from GPU to Monitor.
  • Posting without GPU.( There was no static/buzzing noise nor any sound. Without GPU, system does not posted. Therefore, audio jacks not powered. I guess?)
Nothing above solved the issue.

Yes, my mices works without this issue on another computer (laptop).

I figured that, apart from moving the mouse cursor and clicking, scrolling down with the wheel makes a much louder noise. When I'm done scrolling, the loud noise stops and the normal static/buzzing noise continues.

I also tried this with the keyboard, as I navigate in different applications or different tabs with the alt+tab etc. a loud static/buzzing sound can be heard again.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a close look at the GPU and the I/O Panel connections.

Watch for anything bent, metal touching metal, plugs, ports. Inside and out.

Try to locate the location/source of that loud static/buzzing sound. One way to do so is to use a long cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around inside your system to locate the source.

If necessary have someone else move the mouse, scroll etc. so you can concentrate on pointing the tube and not be hitting inside components.

TRENDING THREADS