[SOLVED] Static Pressure or Airflow for SFF NR200

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Greetings,

I was wondering if my Arctic P12 PWN PST 120mm, were enough for a SFF build with the NR200 case. I was planning on putting 2 at the bottom, to help the gpu intake air, and either 2 at the top as exhaust or on the side where the radiator for my SFF build is going to be, working as intake and effectively replacing the stock fans of the radiator. Should I get an Airflow fan to eventually push out all the air or no need?

Solution
Static pressure fans can be used in all applications.

Airflow fans aren't as versatile, but in the right applications they are better than static pressure. What are those?
Well, simply put, it's where air resistance in a chassis is weak/weakest; as few obstacles as possible - usually exhaust, because the grille is the only real obstacle.

No need to overthink it.

I was planning on putting 2 at the bottom, to help the gpu intake air
CM NR200
iu
I don't get the point of wanting to do this^. It is very redundant.
Do people just forget that the gpu has working fans? They draw in and move air like other fans do? Because they...
Not entirely necessary. If you own the fans already, just use them.

So you're going to set up as follows?
  • 2 x 120mm intake fans - bottom
  • 2 x 120mm intake fans - side, attached to radiator
  • 2 x 120mm exhaust fans - top

Last edited:

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Not entirely necessary. If you own the fans already, just use them.

So you're going to set up as follows?
  • 2 x 120mm intake fans - bottom
  • 2 x 120mm intake fans - side, attached to radiator
  • 2 x 120mm exhaust fans - top
Ye, that’s my intention, cool air for the gpu and radiator while the hot air goes out the top and back

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those fans are designed to push decent air flow though a radiator that provides resistance to air flow. So they are ideal for use as replacements on the radiator.

For the fans NOT on the radiator, Air Flow fans are the "correct" design. BUT in that application with little backpressure (air flow resistance), the fan spec to concentrate on is the max air flow in CFM, because you will actualy get close to that with very little backpressure. So IF you are considering other fans for the case ventilation roles, just compare those CFM ratings. You may (or may not) care about other items like warranty length and max noise, but air flow max is the most important spec for this. If you can't beat that by a significant margin by chosing other fans, there is not reason to do that.

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Those fans are designed to push decent air flow though a radiator that provides resistance to air flow. So they are ideal for use as replacements on the radiator.

For the fans NOT on the radiator, Air Flow fans are the "correct" design. BUT in that application with little backpressure (air flow resistance), the fan spec to concentrate on is the max air flow in CFM, because you will actualy get close to that with very little backpressure. So IF you are considering other fans for the case ventilation roles, just compare those CFM ratings. You may (or may not) care about other items like warranty length and max noise, but air flow max is the most important spec for this. If you can't beat that by a significant margin by chosing other fans, there is not reason to do that.
I totally get shat you are saying, but, with a SFF build, would that work as well? I know that air flow is important as you want the air to reach every nook and cranny, but in my head I thought that Static pressure would be better for intake as well, not only for the radiator but also the gpu that will be sitting at the bottom of the case. And with all the cables in the way ( if I don’t even up ordering custom cables OR making sure the path is clear enough ) the air will find some resistance to the exhaust. Then again maybe SP at the top to push the air out, SP for the radiator and Air flow ( high cfm ) as intakes at the bottom of the case to keep that gpu cool and max in the air intake and flow.
What do you think? Also what CFM would be considered good enough for this case? (Not case as in build but as in situation )

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Airflow fans aren't as versatile, but in the right applications they are better than static pressure. What are those?
Well, simply put, it's where air resistance in a chassis is weak/weakest; as few obstacles as possible - usually exhaust, because the grille is the only real obstacle.

No need to overthink it.

I was planning on putting 2 at the bottom, to help the gpu intake air
CM NR200
iu
Do people just forget that the gpu has working fans? They draw in and move air like other fans do? Because they are farther away from the 'floor' than those extra fans are, they have an easier time bringing air in?
That in a chassis like this, the gpu fans already ARE bottom intakes?

What did I miss beyond it being a pet peeve over looks?

Solution

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

No need to overthink it.

iu
Do people just forget that the gpu has working fans? They draw in and move air like other fans do? Because they are farther away from the 'floor' than those extra fans are, they have an easier time bringing air in?
That in a chassis like this, the gpu fans already ARE bottom intakes?

What did I miss beyond it being a pet peeve over looks?
So you suggest not putting fans at the bottom. I really couldn’t care less about the looks, what I want is performance and I wasn’t sure I would be getting that with just the gpu fans intaking air from the bottom, so I thought to myself, that I want to help the gpu intake more air and to do that, I would resort to adding fans at the bottom to help with intake. Then I’ll repurpose the additional fans as exhaust at the top

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I, at least, wouldn't.
The gpu's fans can already play the role of bottom intake - just set your fan curve appropriately.
They'll also have a little more 'breathing room' to work with than fans 'right there' on the floor.
Fair point, then I’ll just monitor temps and if there isn’t a huge difference between having them at the bottom and not having them, then they’ll be repurposed as exhaust

Reactions: Phaaze88

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Can't argue with that: Nothing beats doing your own testing. (y)
I wish more people were motivated to do it.
who isn’t? I will test this and compare the results to decide the better position and performance. I’m not just slapping all of this together to use it for a year or two, I’m planing to keep it going for at least 4 or 5 years, that’s how it’s always been with my rigs. The one in my bio/description has held for about 5 years now , but haven’t been able to use it since I’m abroad, this one tho, will travel with me everywhere.

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
You'd be surprised by the number of 'best airflow', or best fan setup threads that pop up here and on other tech sites...
XD
Fair enough, everyone is entitled to have their opinion haha but could always differ from rig to rig, one could have a rabbit’s nest while others custom cables opening it up for airflow. I know for sure I’m not gonna spend on custom cables, at least for now, and this being my first SFF build, I know everything is going to be packed together very tightly. Hence the question of SP or airflow

Reactions: Phaaze88
I, at least, wouldn't.
The gpu's fans can already play the role of bottom intake - just set your fan curve appropriately.
They'll also have a little more 'breathing room' to work with than fans 'right there' on the floor.
Counterpoint: 120mm case fans are larger and thicker than the fans on a GPU. Inasmuch, they should be able to move more air quieter than the fans on a GPU. I'd imagine that the forced air from bottom mounted intake case fans would make so the GPU fans wouldn't have to spin very fast to keep the GPU frosty.

As mentioned, test both if you have the ability to.

Reactions: noxinum

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Counterpoint: 120mm case fans are larger and thicker than the fans on a GPU. Inasmuch, they should be able to move more air quieter than the fans on a GPU. I'd imagine that the forced air from bottom mounted intake case fans would make so the GPU fans wouldn't have to spin very fast to keep the GPU frosty.

As mentioned, test both if you have the ability to.
Counter-counterpoint: The difference with fans there Vs not likely isn't one of significance.
The user can save money + have a couple cables not running through the chassis.

Agree to do your own testing.

Reactions: noxinum and tennis2

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Also to remember that having the vent 'open' (with or without fan) is also highly beneficial as it allows airflow to exist through the case by providing ambient air volume to replace warm air being exhausted.

This is just as important as 'which fan goes where' as the continuity of cool air is absolutely paramount to fans being able to cool in the first place.

Reactions: noxinum