I've got a custom built Gaming pc.
SPECS:

2- 1tb sata 2 hdd
1- Radeon HD6950
1- Intel I5 2500K
1- Asus P8H67-M PRO Motherboard
4- G-SKILL DDR3 RAM (4x4GB)
1- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

SO I'm getting static from both my front headphone jack and my rear on-board headphone jack. ONTOP of getting static and crackling sounds, you also can't hear any sound whatsoever. I turn on music and put full blast and you can't hear it. The static kind of goes to the rhythm of the music but you couldn't tell it was music.

WHAT I'VE ALREADY DONE TO TRY AND FIX IT:

1) Cleaned the audio jacks out with canned air and safe electronic cleaner.

2) Reformatted my windows 7 entirely on my main HDD.

3) Deleted, reinstalled and updated ALL my drivers including sound, chipset, and even my GPU drivers.

4) Did a full registry clean.

5) Tried disconnecting the front audio from my motherboard and use just the rear output.

6) Did a ram / memory check, disk cleanup, and disk defrag.

7) tried a different outlet in my house.

8) Moved any and all (non-necessary) cables away from the tower to reduce interference.

I'm running out of options and even though I've tried all these things I'm worried something is fried on my MOBO like a cap or something.

PLEASE HELP

(TEMPORARY FIX) So I bought a pair of steelseries headphones a year or two ago and it came with a USB PnP sound card thing. Im now using that to play sound but that makes me less sketchy about my audio jacks not working. So yes, i do have sound and so far my computer seems fully functional but the onboard and front audio jacks are still static.

Solution
Yeah.. it sounds like your onboard audio chip is fried. The USB soundcard you are using right now is probably your only fix short of a new motherboard.

A dedicated PCI audio card would work too, but that would just be another bypass, like the USB connector you are using now.

chadly

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Already did, i used my home theatre system, a pair of BRAND NEW monster headphones, and evena crappy pair of trittons i bought about a year ago.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah.. it sounds like your onboard audio chip is fried. The USB soundcard you are using right now is probably your only fix short of a new motherboard.

A dedicated PCI audio card would work too, but that would just be another bypass, like the USB connector you are using now.

Solution

chadly

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I was hoping for a different answer, haha. But that's what I was thinking as well. I'll probably just use the usb thing until next payday. I'm a little chapped but I mean, it was a 110 dollar mobo so I can't be too furious, right?

Long shot, but check your BIOS settings for HD Audio vs AC'97. I'm not sure what happens to the sound when you have it set wrong, but can't hurt to try changing it. Some motherboards have a jumper to switch between these two modes (they use the same MB connector), rather than a BIOS setting.

chadly

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I can't recall having seen that setting in my bios in the Simple or Advanced mode. but i'll try it out. I do have the HDAudio and AC'97 pin on/in my case and i have the HD audio hooked up on the mobo.