Steam for Mac Launching on Wednesday, May 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The "Games for Windows" will still only work on windows, mac users will only have access to platform independent games and games specifically made for mac.

As scotters said, the $5 games' sales will pick up tremendously.

[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]This totally defeats the point "Games for Windows" on those game boxes[/citation]

BS, I don't see macs playing other games natively in osx like such as GTA. Face it macs your platform is for general use and isn't for gamers who prefer a large selection games dating back to the DOS era such as Dune. Hmmmm maybe I'll play some Second life till I am sick of the bugs then log EVE.

jazn1337

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Steam coming to Mac won't mean all the games will work on Mac. Currently, only Valve games are planned to be brought over if I'm not mistaken. They did work on porting Source over to Mac after all.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]akkan84[/nom]one can play games for windows steam titles on linux, using playonlinux Go FOSS![/citation]

linux is a completely different subject, and far more interesting really.
usually mac fanboys play consoles so steam is aiming for those 5% that want games on macs. the real topic is its release to linux now thats a 99% level of interest to the users, since wine isn't as user friendly.

e-rock

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
About time MAC users have access to more games.
Why are people getting mad here? WHo cares if MAC is gewtting games. I'm still sticking to PC. I am however waiting for a Linux Steam Client. Ah yes the day I can say good bye to WIndows.
ATI is now supporting Ubuntu 10.

Once again." IT's about time MAC, Enjoy steams service, it is great."

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
While I will not use this (spent too much building my gaming rig) and my MiniMac is not for games these games will be for OS X and support Open GL. If I boot camp any Mac right now I could have been using Steam as far back as bootcamp existed, no this will be Open GL supported games. I bet MS is cringing at the thought of it, their proprietary piece of crap known as Direct X is going down baby. Open GL means native games for Linux too. And as for you MS fanboys you can kiss my arse.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I won't buy another Steam game until Valve withdraws support for Apple.[/citation]
Fanboy alert, now go ask you mom for a new computer.

fitzergerald

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Can I log into my already well established Steam account and just start DLing them to a mac? Assuming the games are compatible. Or is there a completely different account you need to set up for a mac?

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]fitzergerald[/nom]Can I log into my already well established Steam account and just start DLing them to a mac? Assuming the games are compatible. Or is there a completely different account you need to set up for a mac?[/citation]
I'd hope they port over.

[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]While I will not use this (spent too much building my gaming rig) and my MiniMac is not for games these games will be for OS X and support Open GL. If I boot camp any Mac right now I could have been using Steam as far back as bootcamp existed, no this will be Open GL supported games. I bet MS is cringing at the thought of it, their proprietary piece of crap known as Direct X is going down baby. Open GL means native games for Linux too. And as for you MS fanboys you can kiss my arse.[/citation]

Yet DX was the driving force in the industry for quite a while. OpenGL didn't have the support or backing needed to push like DX does.

I think if OpenGL took off before DX did, we wouldn't have been as far ahead since it is open source and has no link or company backing it to keep it updated.

Its like Linux. Linux is great, except for those who don't know how to install and run drivers or updates. Windows and the parts to it are always updated with no real work to be done.

[citation][nom]fitzergerald[/nom]Can I log into my already well established Steam account and just start DLing them to a mac? Assuming the games are compatible. Or is there a completely different account you need to set up for a mac?[/citation]

VALVe already stated that if you have an existing Steam account, then all your games will transfer over that are Mac compatable (OpenGL).

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Valve already stated that your games are tied to your account, so if there exists a mac compatible version of that game you can download it and play without having to re-buy anything.
Also, multiplayer games are cross platform which means that in a CS:S match you can use a Mac and play against PC and Mac users equally.

G

How useless. It would be nice to see a native linux solution. I'm sure we could even write up a nice d3d wrapper, or use one of the ones already made for linux, to play the d3d steam games on linux. While play on linux seems to do a nice job already I think a native valve made solution would be great.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]While I will not use this (spent too much building my gaming rig) and my MiniMac is not for games these games will be for OS X and support Open GL. If I boot camp any Mac right now I could have been using Steam as far back as bootcamp existed, no this will be Open GL supported games. I bet MS is cringing at the thought of it, their proprietary piece of crap known as Direct X is going down baby. Open GL means native games for Linux too. And as for you MS fanboys you can kiss my arse.[/citation]

You mean besides te fact opengl is a steaming pile of crap? OPENGL use to be way way better then direct X then its open source nature screwed it. so many people arguing about what to put in it and what not to its been developing like a snail. thats why direct x is more widly used. if opengl is going to take back its crown its going to take some organisation they havent been able to get.

Honestly i hope te people make the standards for opengl get thier collective heads out of thier ass's and bring it back cuz im sick of direct x and the opengl "teams" inability to get anything done.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Yet DX was the driving force in the industry for quite a while. OpenGL didn't have the support or backing needed to push like DX does.I think if OpenGL took off before DX did, we wouldn't have been as far ahead since it is open source and has no link or company backing it to keep it updated.Its like Linux. Linux is great, except for those who don't know how to install and run drivers or updates. Windows and the parts to it are always updated with no real work to be done.VALVe already stated that if you have an existing Steam account, then all your games will transfer over that are Mac compatable (OpenGL).[/citation]
You must not have used Linux for a while, Ubuntu updates just like Windows and OS X, any idiot can update the OS now as long as they can remember their password. I agree great Nvidia and ATI give more attention to MS but that is where demand is, for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.