Steam Machine Prototype Previewed from iBuyPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

You know how that one ends! Sadly, the cake remains a lie.

You think they wouldn't utilize their own well known IPs and use it to promote it? I am willing to bet there will be Half Life versions, Portal versions etc to cater to the gamers.

It's funny though people are upset about the external PSU on the XB1 when in reality it was a smart move. Less heat and easy to replace compared to internal for this type of machine.

I am still interested and can't wait to see if I get chosen for the SteamBox beta.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Nice, but I still question the reliability of iBuyPower after the two gaming rigs we bought from them died within 6 months of power supply and motherboard failure. Seems their quality isn't as good as other companies, or at least it was 3 years ago when I bought those.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Using "AMD CPU with a discrete GPU", they got balls, i bet its one of them athlons x4, but maybe undervolted or something, i reckon the athlon x4 at 3.0 Ghz on load will utilize 80 Watts, which gives good head room for the GPU, considering a good SFX PSU, can output 250-300W stably and efficiently.

johnsonjohnson

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
According to The Verge it comes with a "multicore AMD CPU", R9 270, and Steam Controller all for just $499. You can't find a better deal on a (compact) gaming PC for this price anywhere. Even iBuyPower's own Revolt system starts higher and comes with only an APU. I didn't think Valve would be able to deliver on both the specs and price but this is could be a game changer.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
They could make the nicest machine in the world, but with that Steam OS severely limiting the number of AAA titles you can play on it, and the lack of an optical drive creating a roadblock for an easy Windows installation for most console owners, well...good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.