Steam's Database Hacked, Info Possibly Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]Didnt we already go through this with Sony?[/citation]

Unlike Sony, Steam's data is encrypted with AES256. These hackers actually have a better chance at getting laid than to crack the data they stole.

[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]Didnt we already go through this with Sony?[/citation]

Um... no... the got your email, and game purchase history. And billing address. Passwords and credit cards are encrypted. So... they got a whole lot of nothing.... hardly sony

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]thesnappyfingers[/nom]hmm, I have not received an email, but I'm not part of the forum.[/citation]

I got my message when starting Steam today.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]Now if origin had gotten hacked I am sure your credit card and account would be up for sale.[/citation]
EA already does that job with Origin...

4745454b

Titan
People mentioned this in the HardOCP thread as well. Its different for several reasons. One, Steam isn't denying/hiding it. They came forward, faster then Sony did as well btw, and admitted what happened. Two, assuming Steam isn't lying, the passwords and CC numbers were not stored as text. They (might) have the hash values or something like that, but not the numbers themselves. Hopefully. So yes it's similar to what happened with Sony in that they both got hacked, but the attitude of the companies along with how they stored data is VERY different.

G

[quoteDidnt we already go through this with Sony?[/quote]
sony had all the info UNENCRYPTED. steam uses 256bit AES encryption so your info is safe.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
True sony did all the worng things in such a spectacular way, and this mess up is no where near that scale, however what makes me nervous though is the thought that Big companies still have a set up that allowes hackers to take all of our information, regardless if its incripted, in one trip. I thought this was the big lesson of the sony attack, dont put all your stuff in one place, dont make it so people can get everything in one go. spreading out sensitive information so no one can get all of it at once was the most important thing I got out of Sony's mess up, and I thought that it would be one of the first thing companies would fix.

Happy that its incripted this time though, at least its a move in the right direction. Sad that what I thought was one of the biggest mistakes was not thouroughly delt with. O well no ones perfect... or did I just miss the news on companies fixing this?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I got my replacement credit card in the mail two days ago already. The notice was about a third party data breach, but not where the breach occurred. Now I know that as well...

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Fuck Valve[/citation]

Valve is one of the FEW companies I trust... Every online database can be hacked, but it's not like they can get all your info just a click away. Valve has surely taken measures against that; unlike Sony, these people really care about providing good software.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hmm... I only have a debit card which I use to buy crap online, including cheap Steam games. I think that for the effort those hackers deserve my $1.13 deposited on my debit card rofl!

spikey in tn

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
What if some of the hacked accounts belong to some of the hackers, which they already know the credit card numbers, passwords, etc?

Wouldn't that help them crack the rest of the accounts more easily?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]True sony did all the worng things in such a spectacular way, and this mess up is no where near that scale, however what makes me nervous though is the thought that Big companies still have a set up that allowes hackers to take all of our information, regardless if its incripted, in one trip. I thought this was the big lesson of the sony attack, dont put all your stuff in one place, dont make it so people can get everything in one go. spreading out sensitive information so no one can get all of it at once was the most important thing I got out of Sony's mess up, and I thought that it would be one of the first thing companies would fix.Happy that its incripted this time though, at least its a move in the right direction. Sad that what I thought was one of the biggest mistakes was not thouroughly delt with. O well no ones perfect... or did I just miss the news on companies fixing this?[/citation]

im not an it person, but to me the idea of storing data seperatly seems... impractical, and even if they did, the data would still be easy enough to obtain, unless they have a way to lock it down the second they think data is being taken.

[citation][nom]spikey in tn[/nom]What if some of the hacked accounts belong to some of the hackers, which they already know the credit card numbers, passwords, etc?Wouldn't that help them crack the rest of the accounts more easily?[/citation]

kind of... but you have to remember, they may know a few numbers and values, but they have to apply it in every area... like lets say you had a 100 mile streach of road, and you had to find one specific spot, but you only had about 1cm square to tell you where it is. yes, you can find it, but its like taking a million year task and making it 100000 years.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

I hope they get laid. By Bubba. In prison. And it better not be a quickie.

Status
Not open for further replies.