Question SteelSeries mouse moves slower when left-click button is pressed ?

Aug 20, 2024
Geez I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this for days. There's no setting in the SteelSeries Engine that fixes this, I can't fix it with windows mouse settings, and there's no way to contact the manufacturer for support. Chatgpt and Perplexity Ai have been no help either so I finally created an account here to see if anyone knows.

I simply want my pointer speed to be the same whether or not I hold down the left click button. It is set for 2600 dpi but when I drag items it moves closer to 600dpi. This is making speed chess impossible, as well as other problems in a few other games. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What speed chess application or site do you play on? Check the recommended hardware specs.

= = = =

I am not so sure that mouse pointer speed (dpi) is the problem per se.

More likely the problem is the overall system and its' capabilities.

Moving just a just a mouse cursor is one thing.

Clicking/Holding a mouse button and moving (dragging and dropping) a chess piece (icon) is another. Far more computing effort is needed.

The system may simply be unable to keep up....

Do some testing using Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and move the mouse around and watch for changes.

Leave the tool window open and start a speed chess game where the results will not negatively affect your standings/ratings. Play against the computer (if possible) just so you can make long distance moves, castle, move knights, etc. that likely require more processing effort than an initial pawn move. Remember that you are testing - not trying to win. [Edit afterthought: play with a friend who knows what you are doing and can assist as deemed necessary.]

Watch the tool window when you click, move, and release your pieces on the board.

It may take some trial and error to get the windows set up, be able to watch everything, and then narrow down to some specific change that correlates with the dpi drop.

Aug 20, 2024

What speed chess application or site do you play on? Check the recommended hardware specs.

= = = =

Clicking/Holding a mouse button and moving (dragging and dropping) a chess piece (icon) is another. Far more computing effort is needed.

Do some testing using Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Leave the tool window open and start a speed chess game where the results will not negatively affect your standings/ratings. Play against the computer (if possible) just so you can make long distance moves, castle, move knights, etc. that likely require more processing effort than an initial pawn move. Remember that you are testing - not trying to win. [Edit afterthought: play with a friend who knows what you are doing and can assist as deemed necessary.]

Watch the tool window when you click, move, and release your pieces on the board.

It may take some trial and error to get the windows set up, be able to watch everything, and then narrow down to some specific change that correlates with the dpi drop.
Thank you, It went away and now it came back. What is actually happening is a little different than I first described. What happens is every 2nd mouse click changes the speed of the cursor, from really fast to really slow, then back to fast again on the next click. So 1 of every 3 clicks is changing the dpi. This is regardless of whether or not I am depressing the button. I somehow fixed it once and I don't remember how. I remember it had nothing to do with mouse settings or my mouse 3rd party software. It's driving me a little nutty because I cannot find anything with google or with 2 different Ai's about this. Also, this happens at all times, not just when playing chess.
Thanks!

Aug 20, 2024
Here is my system info:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.2 GB usable)
Device ID DEEE91E7-FF61-4E8F-A672-D8ACD7F9D5B0
Product ID 00342-20795-90454-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎9/‎18/‎2023
OS build 22631.4037
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1027.0

Aug 20, 2024

= = = =

I figured it out. Sorry for wasting your time. Apparently there's something called a CPI toggle button on this mouse. I can't explain why it had such an odd way of acting but I was able to disable it. I'm not too savvy, I've never heard of such a thing. Anyways, thanks for your time!