Steve Jobs Announces the Apple iPad

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Man I thought the other tablets being presented in the last few months had too large bezels, but the iPad's frame surrounding that screen looks massive in comparison with its size ... so very, very, un-slick it hurts.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]paara[/nom]That was a major disappointment.[/citation]

I never really understood why people were getting so excited.. we had zero real info on the thing, had no idea how it would look (although everyone assumed it would look better than it actualyl does, even me).

If you want to blame someone, take a look at 1) yourself, and 2) all the reporters and columnists who wrote constantly about how awesome it was going to be, or just kept feeding the hype ... yes Gizmodo, I'm looking directly at you and your team...

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]barryegerber[/nom]I feel sorry for those who don't get it. The iPad is going to transform the way you use all kinds of content from games to Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide.Put another way, do you want to spend the rest of your life tethered to your desk or toting around a 3 to 15 pound "portable PC"? Do you really get a kick out of struggling with web pages that look like a cross between the arrival and departure boards at airports and a rat's nest of advertising billboards?It's not that no one ever thought of this idea before, but that Apple built a truly lightweight, elegant product that gets the job done. I already use my iPhone for 75% of the tasks I do from email to remote server management. The iPad and iWorks will let me do 95% of my tasks.Yea, you can't play big, fat games on it. For that you'll still need a big fat boat anchor of a PC or notebook.I was a PC guy until the iPhone. Now my main desktop PC is a tiny Mac Mini, with a Core i7 Intel as backup. The iPad may be the first big nail in Microsoft's coffin. And, Intel and AMD should be looking over their shoulders too.[/citation]

Hello? bellevue mental hospital? yes i think he got out again and he is using the computer to post retarded posts please retrieve him.

G

HOLY CRAP AN OVERSIZED IPHONE WITHOUT THE PHONE!

Seriously, with a notebook or netbook you can just flod it to protect the lcd. I'd like to see how they plan to do this with the ipad. What's that? A pouch? HOW GAY.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I'm disappointed. Apple usually drives the market. This looks weak.

I know the economy is weak right now, but seriously Apple... I'd rather see the $1000 device with a 1920x1080 AMOLED display, 720p video recorder, and Mac OSX Lite.

This is just a market filler.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Quote: "Earlier he trash-talked netbooks calling them low-quality computers."

He should have learned about the world's fastest netbook.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Too big of frame and no it does not have one a user replaceable battery. The claimed up to 10hr battery (From Apple.com) is probably more like 7 or 8 when new. I will wait and maybe pick up one when it can have Linux (Android) on it or something and I can change a real 20 hr battery out myself. I don't care if it is a little thicker either and black plastic will look better too. Otherwise my Slim 6-7hr Ubuntu laptop is doing just fine and yes I can easily remove the battery from my 13.3" Acer Timeline.

smleth

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Isn't iPad a mouse pad? Yes it is, and more than likely a trade marked name.

Can Apple make anything without stealing something from someone else. I can say I am not at all surprised.

G

Seriouslly about the ipad tampax comments you guys dont get it do ya.. its actually a reference to the startrek PADD's or Notepad... nothing to do with tampax you guys have a dirty mind

Vantur

G

Mental density is at a maximum going by the majority of the posts here.

Is the iPad concept really that hard to grasp! It's not trying to be a netbook. If you want to do resource hungry stuff use your desktop or laptop. A netbook for me is as its name implies nothing more than an easy, and light option to surf the web, read emails and do some social networking. Funny, the iPad does all that too with no lame fumbling about or boot up required. Multitasking? Give me a break! All I need is to be notified of any messages/email that comes my way while I'm surfing the web. Does your basic cell phone accomplish that? Is that CPU "multitasking"? No, didn't think so! Hardly going to be ripping songs from a CD while sitting on the couch cruising Facebook! It is what it is... unparallelled easy of use and access to the web space with room for HD video and audio playback, with apps galore available in an instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.