Steve Jobs Announces the Apple iPad

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I HATE that Apple consistently omits what we ALL want... EXPANSION! Really, how hard or expensive is it really to add an SDHC port?! LAME!!!

rulezz22

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I actually like this new device. Only somewhat disappointed by the tick black frame around the screen. Still, might get one this summer.

[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]Yes you might also consider an eye surgery after reading Angels and Deamons on your iPhone....[/citation]I would probably need eye surgery after reading Angels and Demons on this new iPad. eInk FTW.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
this is because apple cant think of another product because they got lucky with the ipod. theyre too stu[id to change the name instead of one letter. "apple's own 1 ghz cpu" OMG wait till every imac core i5 is replaced by that and all mac users start having orgies that apple actually made computer part rather than reselling 5x the price of the original. apple is a dumfucking company

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Dig, it.
To all the haters, saying "it has no practical use", Learn to Read!!! it's practical and almost a necessity for a lot of people on a day to day basis. Newspapers, magazines, books, were all sources of information before the internet and are still used today, fascinating huh.

"No multitasking, lame." Look as long as the iPod function works while I'm browsing the web I'm happy. How much multitasking do you expect a single 1gz processor to do anyway? and if I'm not mistaken, multitasking would reduce security as well.

Given what's available today, technology wise and that is cost effective, I'd say nice go Apple. and can't wait for further offerings on this product line. and I'll definitely take one over some crappy netbook, if I want a laptop, it'll be fullsized.

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Seriously? come on. Never in my life. Not interested. It looks like a large iphone with a screen that will get crushed by everything nearby. That's their creative genius? A giant iphone?

And the name? Seriously? I can't wait to see a photo of a girl holding the iPad to her crotch. Or Flava Flav holding to his ear like a giant iPhone.

Cartoonists unite!

huge disappointment.

barryegerber

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I feel sorry for those who don't get it. The iPad is going to transform the way you use all kinds of content from games to Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide.

Put another way, do you want to spend the rest of your life tethered to your desk or toting around a 3 to 15 pound "portable PC"? Do you really get a kick out of struggling with web pages that look like a cross between the arrival and departure boards at airports and a rat's nest of advertising billboards?

It's not that no one ever thought of this idea before, but that Apple built a truly lightweight, elegant product that gets the job done. I already use my iPhone for 75% of the tasks I do from email to remote server management. The iPad and iWorks will let me do 95% of my tasks.

Yea, you can't play big, fat games on it. For that you'll still need a big fat boat anchor of a PC or notebook.

I was a PC guy until the iPhone. Now my main desktop PC is a tiny Mac Mini, with a Core i7 Intel as backup. The iPad may be the first big nail in Microsoft's coffin. And, Intel and AMD should be looking over their shoulders too.

G

Being a business professional that travels a lot, I've been looking for an device (eReader?) that could "correctly" display business documents {Word, Excel, PPT and PDF being the most important) on a usable screen size {most recently looking at the new Que from Plastic Logic}. Add the capabilities of displaying eBooks and periodicals/newspapers, syncing with my desktop & laptop; with some interesting entertainment features and I think this is a killer device. The real advantage this has over the current eReader lineup is colour and the ability to run apps,.... again Killer.

There will definately be competition in the near future which is great for consumers but I have to offer Kudos to Apple for filling a much needed void first.

G

Great piece of hardware!
A giant ipod. Yes it is. ipod was great and this thing is greater for good. iwork is a brilliant software, putting it on is a good idea, besides the keyboard is also a swift move. Dont listen to goats. They'll be buying it in a few months time. iPad is good. It suites the i concept.
Things to wait for iPad 2:
- A stylus
- A web cam in front
- 5 mp cam in the back.
- 120 GB disk

NZ_Judge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
G

Neat idea, but massive fail. Like all Apple products - overpriced. You can get a spectacular netbook for the price, but it won't be apple. Awkward size for carrying around too - too big and yet too small. 64gb is so... small? It is a stretched touch. Great processor at first glance though.

NZ_Judge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Apple will have a legal battle on their hands in the States.
Fujitsu filed for the trademark in the U.S. on the iPad name back in 2003. It is a tangeable product in use in the States by retailers. Apple has until Feb 28th to try to wrangle it from Fujitsu. What muppets.

G

$100\16GB = $6.25 per GB....
Hmmm, thats about as much, per GB, as a top of the line 200GB+ SSD.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'm getting incredibly bored with the i___ naming scheme. I mean, they just give you the word for the device and shove a lower-cased i in front of it. iMac, iPhone, etc... boring.

Aside from that, I would have no use for something like this.

G

Looks like Jane was at least partly won over by the price, thanks to the "managed leaks" campaign (drop a few early rumors in the press that the new Apple gizmo could cost around $1000, then get everyone excited about how it won't be that much of a rip-off after all).
Just think of all the R&D that companies have invested over the years into miniaturizing tech to fit something powerful in the palm of your hand, then Apple comes along and says "oh look, we've took an iPod Touch and made it bigger!"

But I hope they don't make the earphones proportionally bigger - that might hurt!

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]barryegerber[/nom]...I was a PC guy until the iPhone. Now my main desktop PC is a tiny Mac Mini, with a Core i7 Intel as backup. The iPad may be the first big nail in Microsoft's coffin. And, Intel and AMD should be looking over their shoulders too.[/citation]
This proves that you were never really a PC guy, but that perhaps you owned an HP or Compaq and you thought that you were a "PC guy". I'm not saying you're a loser for comparing the power of a PC to that of a MacMini and what's with your notion that AMD and Microsoft have to look behind their shoulders? When your Dear Leader Steve Jobs dies, Apple will be standing on very shaky grounds. Watch and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.