Steve Jobs Announces the Apple iPad

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
not good for actually reading books; anyone that uses e-readers knows that bright screens are hard to look at for extended periods of time.
That is why the e-paper type of screen was invented and deployed by all other e-reader manufacturers. It uses reflected light, just like paper; besides, does not consume electricity when on, just when image changes (page turn). E-readers last for days of use because of that.

And there goes the only possible reason why I would have bought one..

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Brother Shrike[/nom]iPad? Seriously? I could have thought of a better name...[/citation]

LOL. I know, man. the "pad" part reminds me of the maxi variety.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]windowsmelover[/nom]God. What a big disappointing piece of garbage. Thanks again Steve for building up my hopes and aspirations and then dashing them by releasing a half-baked oversized ipod touch. I am one unhappy apple fanboy today! =([/citation]
I know the feeling. I used Vista.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
All the limitations of an iPhone/iPod touch without the portability! Yay! For less money you can get a device with the same size screen that comes with a keyboard built in and runs a real OS with similar battery life.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
what sucks is that a whole lot of people will be buying these, ans then i'll have to convince them that apple wasn't the first to come out with something like this, and then they'll say, the app store is awesome... and a bunch of delusional ipad lovers will come to join the delusional iphone lovers

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wow... a big iPod touch with a keyboard for a minimum of $499... Sure its less than I expected it to cost coming from Apple, but still- WAY overpriced for the specs. Seriously- a 1 Ghz proc. and 16 Gb of space for almost $500??? I can get a netbook with significantly more power and storage space, that I can multitask on for less than that! Also- does ANYONE actually believe the 10 hours of battery life crap? Especially if you are watching videos?

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'm not an Apple fan but this doesn't seem too crazy. The price is alright. The 10 hr / 1 month standy by is good. I was thinking it was going to be $1000. But you can get into one for $500. Only main criticsm... the upcharges for additional ram and wifi/3g. $100 ram increments and $130 for wifi/3g. Let's put it this way... $199 gets you a Droid, $149 for a Hero, and $149 etc. Of course these are subsidized pricing but in reality nobody every buys stock price. Any case $130 for wifi plus 32 megs is $100... so that's $230 for upgrades. That's half the price. Don't like that pricing scheme. Or at least allow people to put in their own RAM. Definitely not going to be a major mover.

rallende

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
For a second, let's forget about the specs for a second and really look at what this product is aiming to do. No not trump the Kindle but cause more headaches for magazine and print publishers that are have been steady spending money and production time to get their content on a e-Reader. Which Apple's new approach to this and combined with the fact that a lot of publishers have suffered through the economy, can they really spend more money to keep up with the times? It's going to be rough for a while as apple has now opened the gates for new devices which will make magazines rethink their handheld presence.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
heh. Apple doesn't seriously plan to make money off the technology. They want to harvest the huge potential for eBooks -especially in a college environment where Apple products are accepted and widely used. Amazon gets a 50% cut on text book sales; more than the publisher, author..etc. Steve wants to be the fat cat who gets all the money Kindle is bringing in. imho.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Sung to the toon of America Pie:

Bye, bye to that Steve Jobs guy. Surfed an iPhone to web, but AT&T connection was fried. The good old Fanbois sittin' there drink'n their Lattes and Freeze Dried. Sing this is the day that Apple done died...this is the day that Apple done died...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Next they will make iPants, with pockets big enough for the thing.

The machine seems like a real neat idea, but then I couldn't figure out what to actually use it for. Here's what I came up with:
1) For people that would carry around a clipboard or similar device, like delivery people.
2) For games
3) For videos
4) For ebooks
5) It could be used for light computer uses such as notes, emails, etc. but would work best with an external keyboard
Remember that there are a lot of people out there that will buy "neat" devices without any real need for them, and there is a whole generation of phone-stuck-to-ear people that don't need the power of a full laptop.

My idea was to have an external keyboard/touchpad that is the same size as the pad, and a mechanism at the back that the pad would connect to and pivot so it could close like a conventional clamshell laptop but then open it and pop off the tablet to carry and use like a tablet. Now you've got some of the best of the laptop along with the best of the tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.