Steve Jobs Announces the Apple iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
The only reason I'd want this is if it could run Adobe Design Premium, but seeing as how it doesn't look like it runs OSX my hopes aren't very high. It also looks kinda ugly because the black edge goes all the way around the device. To me, it already looks dated.

I like Apple, but this isn't impressive to me.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I really wish Apple slapped a better name on this thing. We will now be inundated with Tampon and other such jokes for years. iTampon, got it. Already old.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
All of the media hype for all of these months for this? THIS? Wow, a giant iPod touch with a terrible name(It's that time of month, you need an iPad!).

I'm really skeptical about the 10 hours of battery life.

Even though this item is completely generic and uninspiring, I'm sure the loyal will eat it up.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]it has some sort of word processing. lets wait for the event to be over till we jump to speculations.http://www.macrumors.com/- Now talking about iWork. Talked to head of iWork team a year ago about creating iPad version, and they got it done. Introducing iWork on iPad.[/citation]

iDontcare

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
seeing this come out is as exciting to me as seeing Scott Brown win Massachusetts, the demise of Apple is imminent. I am all smiles :) what a piece of crap haha

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Welcome to the party Steve, you're 3 weeks late. And from the sounds of it, the Windows 7 based tablets will be more powerful and do more than the iPad.

To quote the first poster, iPhail.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hmmm.... was hoping for a real tablet taht I can write my note on it... but guess Apple is play smart (safe) by positioning iPad as an enhanced iTouch/iBook so it will not look like an unpowered netbook.
iBook looks cool (oh my! it is not B&W lol.... ;) )... iWork is interesting. Brush looks nice.... but only WiFi no 3G?... hmm.....
I like the 10hr battery time/1 month standby time (if that is for real in the real life)...

any.... it seems ok... not too impressive but not too bad... now the final question.... HOW MUCH IT IS?

G

Basically this is like a netbook (same screen size, no mobile broadband or phone), but slower, without a real keyboard, without a real OS that alows you to multitask, with a lower screen resolution, less connectivity, and will probably be more expansive. At least it must be lighter and thiner.
I don't see how this device is supposed to be usable. The iPhone is small enough so that you can type with thumbs while holding it. This one is probably too big for that.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
So it seems like..... its a giant iPod Touch....

Thats good and bad. It will do somethings better, others worse. But.. it doesn't seem like it will do anything the Touch couldn't.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]codiak8007[/nom]I'm not an Apple fan by any means though I do like my iPhone.The main use I have for this type of device is as an E-Book, yep that's it... and not just any e-book, a COLOR e-book. That it can play games etc is a plus.Sure I could use my laptop, but I don't need a freaking keyboard to turn pages.This is still going to boil down to price... if it's not right ASUS will be releasing their Color e-book this year[/citation]

Except its an locd screen, with all the inherent problems for reading that that has, which of course were the whole reason for ebooks in the first place.. .something which isn't backlit so you dont trash your eyes reading for long periods of time, in the dark, because you cant read it in bright light... yeah, an ebook reader, really good use for it.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Read on another site, starts at 499 with 16gb ssd

Still want a ultra-thin, light notebook, with all the processing power of a real computer!!!

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Yes yes.
If only they made a slightly smaller one I could carry in my pockets and maybe even make phone calls with!

oh wait...

I don't think this will compete well with current eReaders that use eInk technology. Sure, this iPad has a color screen, but the other readers go with the black & white eInk for a reason: eye strain and fatigue.

Also, I don't see flash mentioned anywhere. Will this device be like the iPhone & iPod Touch and not support flash in the web browser? Apple still wants people to purchase apps instead of using free flash websites, I imagine.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I honestly don't know what I'd use a tablet for. If it had the price and capabilities of netbooks (including a choice of operating systems) then I'd considert (but probably still not buy) it.

On the other hand, I'm all for getting rid of keyboards, they're so 20th century.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
The only people I'm really waiting for a tablet from is Wacom.. being a digital artist a smaller, cintiq style tablet would be sweet (though no doubt very pricey).

And thank goodness the whole stick an i in front of it (standing for interactive... derr, like we needed to be told that) is starting to wear thin... the iPad . lol, HP's Slate has a nicer name. "Excuse me sir, but do you have any iPad's" "Well no,m but if you pop along to your local pharmacy..."

Status
Not open for further replies.