Storage Area Network

Deveki Nandan Shukla

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Hey ,
I am planning to to create a NAS for my home, usually for backup purpose.

Can you help me in deciding the best hardware i can get.

Requirements,
1. No need of wireless bay unit, ( if it can save my money)
2. Redundancy required,
3. More than 4 TB storage.
4. Budget 1500$ approx. (I want the total cost to be minimum with good quality product)
5. Easy changing drive when failure occur, ( I don't know what hot-swap is and how it is done )

Also in am confused if i should use raid 1 or raid 10 which seems good but make lessen the data capacity to half, it will be better if you will suggest me some better idea,

Any danger of power spike on NAS, if yes any solution if yes i am willingly ready to pay that cost too.

Thank-you in advance, as this forum always saved my time before also. Waiting for your reply..

Solution
Your original post had $1500 for a budget. But for MINIMUM cost, a two drive unit like the DS216j from Synology is minimum cost. The software on the Synology units is the same. Number of drives and performance is what increases as you get more expensive units.

kanewolf

Titan
A commercial NAS, from Synology, Thecus, or Q-Nap can meet all the requirement. All of them have the capability to monitor a UPS and shutdown before the battery is depleted. All three vendors have "test drive" web pages where you can play with the user interface. A four drive unit should handle all your needs.
Many members here will advocate to build a NAS. That is definitely also possible and can save $$$ at the expense of speed of setup and convenience. It just depends on your priorities.

Deveki Nandan Shukla

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

can you suggest some bay units,

1. no requirement of inbuilt wifi.
2. reliable
3. minimum cost

kanewolf

Titan
Your original post had $1500 for a budget. But for MINIMUM cost, a two drive unit like the DS216j from Synology is minimum cost. The software on the Synology units is the same. Number of drives and performance is what increases as you get more expensive units.

Solution