Storage Controller

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have a Ultra/66 PCI to IDE adapter developed by Promise technologies. I am trying to install it on my system and would like to have a boot-able HD connected to it. I think it might be a little more difficult than just installing a driver to my OS since it would have to boot an OS separate from the one the HD. Would this require some mod to my bios to be able to boot from a pci slot?

Solution
As per the specs: "Features LBA and Extended Interrupt13h drive installation in controller onboard BIOS". It will work if your system can detect it. Most 10-12 years old systems should be able to boot from it (10-12 years old or more).

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
When a harddrive is attached to the controller card, the only thing the bios wants to do is scan it. Doesn't matter if I go to F2 Setup of or F12 Boot options. It shows that it has some kind of bios. The following link isn't from the manufactures website; however, it is the more informative one I can find.
http://www.slcentral.com/reviews/hardware/controllers/promise/fasttrack66/

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Also, I booted up Ubuntu via a USB. It detected the drive connected to the storage controller and, from what I could tell, successfully installed Ubuntu onto it. After reboot the storage controller was yet again 'scanned'. I guess the motherboard bios is trying to detect the bios on the card. After a while it gives up and states, "No boot device available, Press enter to retry"

While it attempts to scan it states,

Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Proimise Technology, In.

Promise Ultra66 Bus Master BIOS V1.11 (Build 0222)

Detecting (/)

eventually it will state:

Ultra/66 BIOS not installed