storport.sys killing my system - anyone know the solution please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I've recently found my computer has slowly become unsuable. There's two issues, one I can solve by repeating this trick every time, but the other has developed since and I can't remove yet.

Basically, it seems Windows Storage Port Drivers are hammering CPU0 to 100%, and leaving the others bruised.

I've tried a clean format and reinstall of Windows 10 and the issue remains. It must be either a hardware fault, or a problem and/or conflict with a driver, because I update all of those too. Does anyone know how to find out which?

I'm wondering if it's the SDD failing, after all the drive hammering because Win10 broke the SleepStudy, but I'm not sure. Thoughts, folks?

EDIT: Ok, it's possibly not storport at all; I've just found an issue where Device Manager updates Intel Rapid Storage Technology to an OLDER version of the file, so I had to manually get the drivers and install them. However now I've done so, LatencyMon is saying it's the ACPI driver that's the issue, which is where I've been stuck for days... nothing seems to shift it and there seems to be no way to identify what is causing the CPU issue.

Heeeelp!

Below is a LatMon scan;

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:05:07 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-1DO8HSE
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299 (x64)
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z97-P
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8133 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3498 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 231.557513
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4.150377

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 229.508331
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2.301960

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 153.046598
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 5.372115
Driver with highest ISR total time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 5.459783

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 7283653
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 465.799886
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 8.113133
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 12.632027

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 22806528
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 23
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 0
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 0
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 0.0
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.0
Number of processes hit: 0

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 178.927373
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 153.046598
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 65.982936
CPU 0 ISR count: 7239113
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 403.420240
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 115.877141
CPU 0 DPC count: 16392392
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 19.783292
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 142.811035
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 1.054278
CPU 1 ISR count: 34666
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 465.799886
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 12.090988
CPU 1 DPC count: 1921672
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 18.853544
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 53.887078
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.009949
CPU 2 ISR count: 4665
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 456.897656
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 12.107321
CPU 2 DPC count: 1980390
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 21.396493
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 9.337907
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.009235
CPU 3 ISR count: 5209
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 449.919097
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 15.069596
CPU 3 DPC count: 2512097

Solution
Thanks for responding derekullo; I've got the answer now, after days of struggle, but it's a damn weird one.

I've done multiple restarts, even formatted the drive and done a clean Windows install to try and eliminate driver issues... however I found a thread online where someone in comments mentioned in passing they'd gone into Sleep mode, then woken the PC up and that cleared it.

And... it did. Somehow my computer has carried a broken Power setting through multiple installs of Windows...? But I can't see how, unless something went wrong with the BIOS, or maybe there's a loose wire in the case somewhere?

It was recommended I reset the power configurations, which I did via CMD.

1.) Click Search
2.) Type CMD
3.) Right click "Command...

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for responding derekullo; I've got the answer now, after days of struggle, but it's a damn weird one.

I've done multiple restarts, even formatted the drive and done a clean Windows install to try and eliminate driver issues... however I found a thread online where someone in comments mentioned in passing they'd gone into Sleep mode, then woken the PC up and that cleared it.

And... it did. Somehow my computer has carried a broken Power setting through multiple installs of Windows...? But I can't see how, unless something went wrong with the BIOS, or maybe there's a loose wire in the case somewhere?

It was recommended I reset the power configurations, which I did via CMD.

1.) Click Search
2.) Type CMD
3.) Right click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator"
4.) Copy and paste "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" and hit enter.

And now, I've got full performance back again! As I say, weird...

Reactions: Xovodak
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.