Question Strange and completely random BSODs, no real cause.

Jan 28, 2022
Hey all, after seemingly fixing my PC's stability I have been encountering some random crashes here and there. Once per day seemingly entirely at random.

Not while gaming, not while running an intensive load, at the desktop or while general internet browsing. My system has passed just about every stress test I can throw at it as well as a fresh OS install twice.

Dump files can be found HERE

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Full Spec List
Motherboard - ASROCK B550 Taichi
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - NVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
RAM - 32gb DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
PSU - PowerSpec 850w Gold Fully Modular RGB (PSX 850GFM )

Links to previous threads can be found below:
Thread 1
Thread 2

Last edited:
memory address 130 looks bogus.
you have 100Mhz underclock
you have overclock driver
ane ene.sys (power management driver?)

you might change the memory dump type to kernel and provide the memory.dmp file
it will contain the internal logs and show what was running on the other cores.

overall I would be looking for a bad driver. Guess it is ene.sys
I would look for a update. most likely 130 is first entry of the buffer header rather than the address. It would be a common type of bug for a device driver.

you could probably run verifier.exe to try to catch the driver that overwrote the kernels data with the bogus address. this would force a bugcheck and name the bad driver in the memory dump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif
Jan 28, 2022
memory address 130 looks bogus.
you have 100Mhz underclock
you have overclock driver
ane ene.sys (power management driver?)

you might change the memory dump type to kernel and provide the memory.dmp file
it will contain the internal logs and show what was running on the other cores.

overall I would be looking for a bad driver. Guess it is ene.sys
I would look for a update. most likely 130 is first entry of the buffer header rather than the address. It would be a common type of bug for a device driver.

you could probably run verifier.exe to try to catch the driver that overwrote the kernels data with the bogus address. this would force a bugcheck and name the bad driver in the memory dump.

I think I understand, the underclock comes from MSI afterburner but I can and will remove it.

I changed my systemadvancedpriorities-startup and recovery to kernel dump. Is this correct/Should I reupload my dump files?
Just in case, dump files are located HERE

I'll try to find an update for ese.sys as well, or maybe how to safely disable it if it is not integral to my system running as normal.
I got this reply as well a while ago on the microsoft forums, specifically pointing to ene.sys
"The recent minidump files point to "ene.sys". Ene.sys is a software driver that related RGB functions.

I suggest that you temporarily uninstall the related RGB program that you have and see if it will stabilize the PC.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. "

Last time I ran driver verifier I believe it did point to ene.sys but I'll need to check on my microsoft forums account for confirmation.

When I run driver verifier, what selections should I make? Last time I ran it, I was greeted with a BSOD upon booting 3 times in a row before my PC completed a system repair/restore.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jan 28, 2022
ene.sys is an rgb driver alright, comes with asus and Gigabyte boards

try running autoruns, its possible it got left on system after you removed rgb program (I know as i have it on my pc after removing program)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
you can use that to stop it running at startup or remove driver completely.

my post with precautions regarding driver viewer - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/driver-verifier-instructions.3686888/
I have an ASRock board, and I use corsair fans, aio and peripherals, any reason this would be here?

I've uninstalled icue and I'll follow the above steps.

Do you guys recommend I actually run the driver verifier again even though it pointed to eye.sys when I ran it before?

Feb 27, 2022
Hey all, after seemingly fixing my PC's stability I have been encountering some random crashes here and there. Once per day seemingly entirely at random.

Not while gaming, not while running an intensive load, at the desktop or while general internet browsing. My system has passed just about every stress test I can throw at it as well as a fresh OS install twice.

Dump files can be found HERE

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Full Spec List
Motherboard - ASROCK B550 Taichi
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - NVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
RAM - 32gb DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
PSU - PowerSpec 850w Gold Fully Modular RGB (PSX 850GFM )

Links to previous threads can be found below:
Thread 1
Thread 2

Had this earlier, now my pc is turning on and fans are spinning but my graphics card and onboard graphics HDMI port is not working. It isn't the cord because I am using it to play xbox and other stuff too.

Jan 28, 2022
I may have forgotten Asrock when I was talking about ene.sys. Theey tend to do same things as Asus in a lot of ways.

I don't think icue uses it, its more a driver motherboard makers have all grabbed
I went about removing my ASRock RBG software, however I can still see ene.sys in my system32/drivers folder

Is it safe to get rid of it entirely?

I'm having trouble figuring out the program you linked to disable ene.sys as I can't seem to located it.

EDIT - I managed to locate and disable ene.sys by unchecking it after I enabled hidden windows files.

Restarted, things seem stable but I'll continue to use my PC as I would normally and report back.

Do you think I should still run verifier? I used it once before and I didn't brick my system but it wasn't exactly comfortable for a new PC user.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see what you mean, its not under drivers

The delete advice on web assumes it has a program attached to it.
if you have no rgb software in windows now, you could boot into safe mode and delete it from the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder since it might not even be running now, Driver verifer just picked it up as its on system.

Jan 28, 2022
I see what you mean, its not under drivers

The delete advice on web assumes it has a program attached to it.
if you have no rgb software in windows now, you could boot into safe mode and delete it from the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder since it might not even be running now, Driver verifer just picked it up as its on system.

I'd like to continue to use ICUE if I can as my mouse settings are sadly tied to that software. You said you don't think icue uses it.. So in theory after some stability testing and gaming for the next day. Could I try to get ICUE running again?

I will boot into safemode shortly and delete it from the system.

I created a restore point just in case as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As I said, I don't think its part of Icue so you should be able to keep using it.
I think corsair uses CorsairLLAccess64.sys to talk to its hardware. its the controller for the AIO if nothing else. the mouse likely uses either CorsairVBusDriver.sys or CorsairVHidDriver.sys for keyboard/mice
HID - Human Interrface Device so could be mouse or kb.
I have corsair RGB ram, AIO & K70 RGB Keyboard.

I have icue as well. I am fairly sure ene.sys is just part of mb drivers.

Jan 28, 2022
As I said, I don't think its part of Icue so you should be able to keep using it.
I think corsair uses CorsairLLAccess64.sys to talk to its hardware. its the controller for the AIO if nothing else. the mouse likely uses either CorsairVBusDriver.sys or CorsairVHidDriver.sys for keyboard/mice
HID - Human Interrface Device so could be mouse or kb.
I have corsair RGB ram, AIO & K70 RGB Keyboard.

I have icue as well. I am fairly sure ene.sys is just part of mb drivers.

Well I removed ene.sys in safe mode and the motherboards RBG software. Things were stable for a few hours with gaming and general browsing but I just now encountered two crashes back to back, one while writing this post.

A link to the dump files can be found HERE.

I changed the type as well to kernel I believe, following @johnbl advice. Hopefully they can be of some use.

This leads me to a few questions based on the information in this thread and my previous ones.

1. Can I safely rule out ene.sys as the cause of my issues?

2. Should I perform a system restore to a point before I removed ene.sys?

3. Should I run driver verifier tomorrow to try and isolate a further cause driver possibly causing me problems?

Thank you all again for the help, I truly appreciate it.

Well I removed ene.sys in safe mode and the motherboards RBG software. Things were stable for a few hours with gaming and general browsing but I just now encountered two crashes back to back, one while writing this post.

A link to the dump files can be found HERE.

I changed the type as well to kernel I believe, following @johnbl advice. Hopefully they can be of some use.

This leads me to a few questions based on the information in this thread and my previous ones.

1. Can I safely rule out ene.sys as the cause of my issues?

2. Should I perform a system restore to a point before I removed ene.sys?

3. Should I run driver verifier tomorrow to try and isolate a further cause driver possibly causing me problems?

Thank you all again for the help, I truly appreciate it.
if ene.sys is for control of lights then there will be some service that is running that talks to it and you can stop and disable the service or look for a update.

I looked for the memory.dmp file but the files were no longer available

Jan 28, 2022
if ene.sys is for control of lights then there will be some service that is running that talks to it and you can stop and disable the service or look for a update.

I looked for the memory.dmp file but the files were no longer available

Hey @johnbl I fixed the files for you, they should be available now.

They can be found HERE

Anything else you or @Colif suggest doing in the meantime?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I got this reply as well a while ago on the microsoft forums, specifically pointing to ene.sys
"The recent minidump files point to "ene.sys". Ene.sys is a software driver that related RGB functions.

I suggest that you temporarily uninstall the related RGB program that you have and see if it will stabilize the PC.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. "
if Microsoft were saying it was pointing at it, I would leave it removed as it is always possible to have more than one problem.

I will wait for John to read the dumps, I can't convert them myself although if I had time I could learn how, I normally let Gardenman convert them but John generally knows dumps better than both of us so we are letting him do it :)

Look here How to Install AMD Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers on a Windows® Based System | AMD
and see if you can uninstall the AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys driver.
both minidumps showed corruptions that would indicate a driver and its service are not passing data correctly.
you could also go here: Sysinternals - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
download autoruns, run it and disable the driver and reboot to see if your problem goes away.
this allows you to disable with out removing the drivers for testing.

you can also turn on verifier.exe again, and it bugchecks on the first driver that does something wrong. then you remove the driver and try again until all of the bad drivers have been located.

\SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\A-Tuning\Bin\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Fri Sep 18 01:22:51 2020
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\RTCore64.sys Thu Jun 18 04:55:42 2020
1: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.3, DMIVersion 0, Size=1963]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVendor = American Megatrends International, LLC.
BiosVersion = P2.00
BiosReleaseDate = 08/05/2021
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASRock
BaseBoardProduct = B550 Taichi
1: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3593

Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
-------------------
AMD Ryzen Master Utility. This allows for more precise control by allowing the user to manually configure and adjust CPU clock frequencies and core voltages. (basically, a overclock utility)

Jan 28, 2022
if Microsoft were saying it was pointing at it, I would leave it removed as it is always possible to have more than one problem.

I will wait for John to read the dumps, I can't convert them myself although if I had time I could learn how, I normally let Gardenman convert them but John generally knows dumps better than both of us so we are letting him do it :)
That was just from the microsoft forums, not actually microsoft themselves. System has been stable all day today so far, but as we all know by now there isn't exactly an easy indicator on when my system wants to crash.

Jan 28, 2022
Look here How to Install AMD Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers on a Windows® Based System | AMD
and see if you can uninstall the AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys driver.
both minidumps showed corruptions that would indicate a driver and its service are not passing data correctly.
you could also go here: Sysinternals - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
download autoruns, run it and disable the driver and reboot to see if your problem goes away.
this allows you to disable with out removing the drivers for testing.

you can also turn on verifier.exe again, and it bugchecks on the first driver that does something wrong. then you remove the driver and try again until all of the bad drivers have been located.

\SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\A-Tuning\Bin\AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys Fri Sep 18 01:22:51 2020
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\RTCore64.sys Thu Jun 18 04:55:42 2020
1: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.3, DMIVersion 0, Size=1963]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVendor = American Megatrends International, LLC.
BiosVersion = P2.00
BiosReleaseDate = 08/05/2021
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASRock
BaseBoardProduct = B550 Taichi
1: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3593

Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
-------------------
AMD Ryzen Master Utility. This allows for more precise control by allowing the user to manually configure and adjust CPU clock frequencies and core voltages. (basically, a overclock utility)

I don't believe I ever added ryzen master to my system unless it comes with the latest chipset drivers. I can't find a way to launch it, or remove it from my PC but I will do some digging on this.

Also, is there a way for me to easily convert my memory dumps to the format you suggested? I tried looking up a guide and editing them myself but I was not able to find the correct way if those are not how you want them. Thank you so much for the help.

I don't believe I ever added ryzen master to my system unless it comes with the latest chipset drivers. I can't find a way to launch it, or remove it from my PC but I will do some digging on this.

Also, is there a way for me to easily convert my memory dumps to the format you suggested? I tried looking up a guide and editing them myself but I was not able to find the correct way if those are not how you want them. Thank you so much for the help.
To enable memory dump setting, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, select System and Security >; System.
  2. Select Advanced system settings, and then select the Advanced tab.
  3. In the Startup and Recovery area, select Settings.
  4. Make sure that Kernel memory dump or Complete memory dump is selected under Writing Debugging Information.
  5. Restart the computer.
the file will be much larger than the minidump and contains more info about your system.
after a bugcheck the file will be located at c:\windows\memory.dmp

you can copy the file to a cloud server service, share it for public access and put a link to it.
-------------
I think you get ryzen master driver if you directly download from AMD.
autoruns from microsoft can selectively disable the driver for you if you can not find the uninstall tool.

Jan 28, 2022
To enable memory dump setting, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, select System and Security >; System.
  2. Select Advanced system settings, and then select the Advanced tab.
  3. In the Startup and Recovery area, select Settings.
  4. Make sure that Kernel memory dump or Complete memory dump is selected under Writing Debugging Information.
  5. Restart the computer.
the file will be much larger than the minidump and contains more info about your system.
after a bugcheck the file will be located at c:\windows\memory.dmp

you can copy the file to a cloud server service, share it for public access and put a link to it.
-------------
I think you get ryzen master driver if you directly download from AMD.
autoruns from microsoft can selectively disable the driver for you if you can not find the uninstall tool.

Okay so I see where I went wrong. I had previously set my dumps to kernel memory dump and that did not change things, I have now selected complete memory dump as you suggested and I was prompted to restart.

I am unaware of the previous file sizes so I cannot promise that this worked but when I switched the debugging information to 'kernel' I was not asked to restart like I was when I selected 'complete' so hopefully they are as you requested. Files located HERE

If those are not in the format you would like I am very sorry for taking up your time with incorrectly formatted dump files, I know this is all out of your own kindness and I tremendously appreciate it.

I also found where my amdryzenmaster comes from, since it wasn't easily located. It actually comes from the ASRock tuning software, embedded or hidden within it seems. I was able to locate the driver but instead of disabling it I decided to remove ASRock tuning first. Upon removing ASRock tuning and restarting, the driver was nowhere to be found in autorun anywhere.

Does this mean when I removed the ASRock tuning software that the driver AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys is removed entirely?

System has been stable since removing my ASRock tuning software/Getting rid of the driver that @johnbl mentioned.
Last system crash was recorded at 2/27/22 @ 4:08am

EDIT - I decided to test if reinstalling my ASRock RGB software would make ene.sys driver reappear in autorun and it does not, although the software still works perfectly fine, as does icue. @Colif does this mean that ene.sys just comes with a fresh windows install and isn't included by my mobo RGB software?

Last edited:
Okay so I see where I went wrong. I had previously set my dumps to kernel memory dump and that did not change things, I have now selected complete memory dump as you suggested and I was prompted to restart.

I am unaware of the previous file sizes so I cannot promise that this worked but when I switched the debugging information to 'kernel' I was not asked to restart like I was when I selected 'complete' so hopefully they are as you requested. Files located HERE

If those are not in the format you would like I am very sorry for taking up your time with incorrectly formatted dump files, I know this is all out of your own kindness and I tremendously appreciate it.

I also found where my amdryzenmaster comes from, since it wasn't easily located. It actually comes from the ASRock tuning software, embedded or hidden within it seems. I was able to locate the driver but instead of disabling it I decided to remove ASRock tuning first. Upon removing ASRock tuning and restarting, the driver was nowhere to be found in autorun anywhere.

Does this mean when I removed the ASRock tuning software that the driver AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys is removed entirely?

System has been stable since removing my ASRock tuning software/Getting rid of the driver that @johnbl mentioned.
Last system crash was recorded at 2/27/22 @ 4:08am

EDIT - I decided to test if reinstalling my ASRock RGB software would make ene.sys driver reappear in autorun and it does not, although the software still works perfectly fine, as does icue. @Colif does this mean that ene.sys just comes with a fresh windows install and isn't included by my mobo RGB software?
it would make sense that amdryzenmasterDriver.sys was installed with asrock tuning software. it would override settings in bios and hopefully accounts for your underclocked cpu.