[SOLVED] Strange aroma of electricity

Aug 13, 2021
Very suddenly there's the smell of electricity, I'm sure you know the scent. Like an electric fire or something, everything is working fine, my CPU temp is 35c 99% of the time, my GPU is an RTX so the idle temp is around 40c... so I'm not sure what the deal is, I see no smoke, no fire (knock on wood) just this weird smell- almost like a fresh out of the box smell that parts have, but this PC is over a year old.
Should I be worried or? I mean everythings working fine and dandy so

Solution
Tier C .... At first see LTT PSU tier list and find something 650W or above from Tier A or then Tier B without red remarks which you can afford. Both new and used, but in working conditions units works. Because RTX GPU.

Hint: we are saving your investment in the rest of system behind PSU now.

There is review of bigger brother of EVGA BQ 750W Bronze. I believe that 750W unit is not better. In short it most likely do the job while will remain clean from dust and away from high room temperatures (+35...38C at this summer took some toll from computers here around me).
Aug 13, 2021
Hi Jaymz2000.

Try smelling the exhaust of your PSU. It could be something inside or it could be something else but if everything keeps working fine it will be hard to pin point.
I don't know if it's related, this could be on Windows' side, but every so often, ever since I switched to Win11, I've been getting weird stutters in video and audio, idk if that may have any relevance or if its just an OS bug that isnt smoothened out, just trying to eliminate all possibilities that a piece of my hardware is about to go kaputz

as for the PSU, just gave it a wiff, never really smelled my PSU before so that was a new experience... and it just smells like heat, idk it smells from what I recall to be how it's always smelled, I'll try and see if i can see something in the fan though

If smell come from computer, open the case and try to locate the exact point that smell. Would be good to clear out dust from your system including PSU as much as possible and then try to smell again.

From as you said, smell most likely came from PSU itself. Which PSU model you have by the way?

Aug 13, 2021
Tier C .... At first see LTT PSU tier list and find something 650W or above from Tier A or then Tier B without red remarks which you can afford. Both new and used, but in working conditions units works. Because RTX GPU.

Hint: we are saving your investment in the rest of system behind PSU now.

There is review of bigger brother of EVGA BQ 750W Bronze. I believe that 750W unit is not better. In short it most likely do the job while will remain clean from dust and away from high room temperatures (+35...38C at this summer took some toll from computers here around me).

Solution