strange display problems

I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP recently, and ever
since then I have had a few display-related problems that I can't explain.

First, my display properties window always works extremely slowly doing
anything, especially changing the desktop background, and it freezes most of
the time that I bring it up. If the X box in the top right corner works, it
will prompt me to exit rundll32, and if it doesn't, I have to
ctrl-alt-delete to get rid of it.

Second, though my display settings and sccessibility settings are all the
same, the white X boxes in the top right of all my windows are much larger
than they ever were before (screenshot here -
http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/xbox.jpg). Also larger is any windows XP
system icons, such as the three options that appear when you click start -
turn off computer (screenshot here -
http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/shutdown.jpg). The fonts on some webpages are
also larger than they ever were before.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600. Does anybody have any idea of what
is wrong with my system? Thank you.

Have you checked the ATI website for the latest XP compatible drivers for
you model card, www.ati.com?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP recently, and ever
> since then I have had a few display-related problems that I can't explain.
>
> First, my display properties window always works extremely slowly doing
> anything, especially changing the desktop background, and it freezes most
> of
> the time that I bring it up. If the X box in the top right corner works,
> it
> will prompt me to exit rundll32, and if it doesn't, I have to
> ctrl-alt-delete to get rid of it.
>
> Second, though my display settings and sccessibility settings are all the
> same, the white X boxes in the top right of all my windows are much larger
> than they ever were before (screenshot here -
> http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/xbox.jpg). Also larger is any windows XP
> system icons, such as the three options that appear when you click start -
> turn off computer (screenshot here -
> http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/shutdown.jpg). The fonts on some webpages
> are
> also larger than they ever were before.
>
> My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600. Does anybody have any idea of what
> is wrong with my system? Thank you.

As for the large buttons, you appear to have Large DPI enabled:

- right-click desktop, go to Properties
- click Settings tab, then Advanced button
- change from "Large (120 DPI)" to "Normal"

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

"Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP recently, and ever
> since then I have had a few display-related problems that I can't explain.
>
> First, my display properties window always works extremely slowly doing
> anything, especially changing the desktop background, and it freezes most
> of
> the time that I bring it up. If the X box in the top right corner works,
> it
> will prompt me to exit rundll32, and if it doesn't, I have to
> ctrl-alt-delete to get rid of it.
>
> Second, though my display settings and sccessibility settings are all the
> same, the white X boxes in the top right of all my windows are much larger
> than they ever were before (screenshot here -
> http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/xbox.jpg). Also larger is any windows XP
> system icons, such as the three options that appear when you click start -
> turn off computer (screenshot here -
> http://s92444649.onlinehome.us/shutdown.jpg). The fonts on some webpages
> are
> also larger than they ever were before.
>
> My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600. Does anybody have any idea of what
> is wrong with my system? Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS