Question Strange fan noise

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Hello, I recently noticed that I have a strange fan noise, it's like coil whine, but this strange noise is at one of my case fans. The noise is most audible whenever I play a game, and I don't know why. I also checked the RPMs with my software, I cranked the RPMs to the max and there was no noise, and also checked the RPMs at 50%, 75%, and even 25% but nothing, no strange noise, and as I said, the noise is audible when I play a game.
Any opinion will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello, I recently noticed that I have a strange fan noise, it's like coil whine, but this strange noise is at one of my case fans. The noise is most audible whenever I play a game, and I don't know why. I also checked the RPMs with my software, I cranked the RPMs to the max and there was no noise, and also checked the RPMs at 50%, 75%, and even 25% but nothing, no strange noise, and as I said, the noise is audible when I play a game.
Any opinion will be much appreciated.
Coil whine can happen with any coils and fan has at least 4. It usually happens only at certain frequency or loads.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Coil whine can happen with any coils and fan has at least 4. It usually happens only at certain frequency or loads.
Yeah, I believe it has 4 coils, because it is a 120mm fan. It is weird, I have 6 fans of the same kind and only this one makes this strange noise at a certain load, in idle, there is no problem. As I said, it is audible whenever I play something, sometimes it's louder sometimes not that bad.