Question Strange GPU issues in my new build ?

Sillencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
I had an old MSI RX580 GamingX 8G which I bought from a mining rig, and recently I decided to upgrade everything except the GPU, with a Ryzen 5600x and a MSI B550-a Pro MB.
When I tried to startup my new rig, there was no video output at all, while the MB troubleshoot leds showed that there are no issues. Put my GPU in my old rig, flashed the BIOS, and then it worked in my new rig.

But I have weird issues, especially in demanding games. Strange texture artifacts, crashes with driver timeouts and windows telling me that "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware", and the one that really concerns me - the video output will disappear after which the entire system will restart(or I would have to restart it manually), and there will be errors on random partitions on all my SSDs and HDD, and because of that, parts of my windows systems gets corrupted, in one such case the entire System folder disappeared and I had to reinstall windows.
I tried different drivers, new and old, (there was a difference with a old one, which wasn't even intended for my gpu model, it would crash less often), flashed the BIOS again with another version which I got from MSI forums, no ideas what else to do.
I have a seasonic 550W PSU, could this be the issue? Can I test it somehow?

Could someone helpe me, I have no idea what else to do, and with today prices on GPU I don't think I'll get an upgrade soon :(

Windows 10 Pro 19042
Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI RX580 GamingX 8G
MSI B550-a Pro
32GB Corsair
2 SSDs and 1 HDD
PSU Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Any components that come from a mining rig are suspect. Mining is very intensive and demands a lot of power.

For the moment - PSU: how old? Past history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

You can do some testing on a PSU if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance are a strong indication of PSU problems.

Also you can look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that problems occurred.

Varying errors and/or increasing numbers of errors may indicate a faltering and failing PSU.

If possible try swapping in a known working PSU with a higher wattage rating.

Sillencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
PSU is around two years old.
No mining or video editing, did a lot of gaming thought, but it was an old i7 processor, 8gb ram and the RX580, so I don't think I got the power to stress the PSU.

Event viewer has a lot of random errors, it also depends on the drivers and stuff. In the beginning it was a lot of of driver timeout errors.

now I get stuff like this:
Faulting application name: PathOfExile.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x618ba5a0
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1151, time stamp: 0x891df6d3
Exception code: 0xe0000001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034ed9
Faulting process id: 0x2ec8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7d7fac642ad96
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 18cfec69-77be-4b15-89eb-b30b9def20e9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: RadeonSettings.exe, version: 10.1.2.1783, time stamp: 0x5d6024a8
Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll, version: 5.12.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c2f5bd2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004416
Faulting process id: 0x2544
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7cf56235007f4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Qt5Core.dll
Report Id: e00b9523-6fb8-4fa7-985b-d037f330d07e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

There are other errors at times, but I need to check after the PC crashes completely.

TRENDING THREADS