[SOLVED] Strange humming sound

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Hey

I put this in CPU because i have no idea where it belongs.

So a few days ago my computer started making a strange humming noise that went louder and quieter in rythm, I opened my case and tried to clean out all the dust i could find. The hum is still there but now its more constant instead of the on and off hum it did before.

It's driving me mad as i am very sensitive to sound. Tomorrow if i ordered the right ones i'l try to replace the fans but i don't know if its them because when i put my ear to the case i can't see to pinpoint the noise anywhere as if it only exists when i'm not close to the case.

If anyone knows what might be causing this random ghost hum let me know.

Greetings
KiwiBlitz

Last edited:
Solution
It could be a fan, or, a resonant freq (vibration inducing) hit with one of the chassis lids, fan shrouds, etc...

Any spinning drives can sometimes hum annoyingly as well... (with power off completely, you can remove the larger SATA power cable to eliminate potential suspects from the noise producing culprit list)
You can eliminate most fans by powering the rig completely off, and disconnecting assorted fans to rule them out....

Then with the case cover removed, you can also experiment/search for vibration mounted hum by carefully lightly touching case covers, fan shrouds, etc...

Sometimes power supplies can hum(whine) annoyingly under load....
It could be a fan, or, a resonant freq (vibration inducing) hit with one of the chassis lids, fan shrouds, etc...

Any spinning drives can sometimes hum annoyingly as well... (with power off completely, you can remove the larger SATA power cable to eliminate potential suspects from the noise producing culprit list)
You can eliminate most fans by powering the rig completely off, and disconnecting assorted fans to rule them out....

Then with the case cover removed, you can also experiment/search for vibration mounted hum by carefully lightly touching case covers, fan shrouds, etc...

Sometimes power supplies can hum(whine) annoyingly under load....

Reactions: Oussebon
Solution

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I just don't understand why its like the sound does not exist when i am close to it. I think a cable might be pressing against something because i swear its louder when the back panel that you remove to get to the power supply is on it.

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I do remember fumbling a lot when i replaced my power supply as i had never done that before so there are a few cables that don't need to be there and its pretty cramped. I might try to get rid of those too and see what that does.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS