Havok88

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hi,
Having trawled the threads I find my issue remains so I turn it to you the people.

Last night I was using my pc as usual playing a game and watching some youtube. 1am shut down for bed.

This morning I boot my pc and the display (a tv connected by dvi to hdmi cable) is in a different resolution and there is no sound. There is no option to switch beyond the native hd 720p resolution and where previously there was the option in the sound settings to select Panasonic tv there is no option but my sound card.

I have tried:
Windows restore to a week previous
Installing latest graphics driver (multiple times) and rolling back also
Checking drivers of Intel chipset, generic pnp display and generic non pnp display
Switching to a hdmi to hdmi connection
Checked seating of the graphics card and div cable and hdmi cable (when tested)
And numerous other smaller things that helped nothing

So I need ideas and help

Thanks in advance
Havok88

Relevant hardware
Monitor Panasonic tv
Motherboard asrock z97 extreme 6
Graphics card msi gtx 1080 gaming x 8g
Running windows 10 64bit

Happy to give any more info required

Solution
May well be external hardware and not the PSU.

You have to follow the testing.

If a different monitor shows no issues then proceed accordingly.

Try the original monitor on another known working system and otherwise repeat the testing you have done.

Consistent results, one way or another, should pinpoint the culprit.

Ralston18

Titan
It appears that you have done so to some extent but do try other known working video cables and/or adapters.

Are you able to try another known working display (either tv or monitor) on your computer?

Are you able to try the existing display on another known working computer?

Determine if the problem follows the display or stays with your computer.

More information: PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Havok88

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
It appears that you have done so to some extent but do try other known working video cables and/or adapters.

Are you able to try another known working display (either tv or monitor) on your computer?

Are you able to try the existing display on another known working computer?

Determine if the problem follows the display or stays with your computer.

More information: PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition?
first of all thanks for the reply.

Power Supply Unit is Corsair CP-9020072-UK Professional Platinum Series HX750i ATX/EPS 750W
5 years old in 2 days but as clean as the day it was bought.

i tried with every cable and they all seem to have the same result.
i switched the tv with another and they register properly and the sound works! Huzzah!

now what could the issue be with my current setup. any idea where to start?

cheers in advance
havok 88

Ralston18

Titan
Clean is good but PSU's have a designed in EOL (End of Life) and that is probably done in a matter that makes "cleanliness" moot. Heating up, cooling down, power on, power off cycles, wattage output, etc. are what matter.

And if the PSU has been heavily used for gaming, graphics rendering, bit-mining etc. the PSU could be starting to falter.

Do you have another PSU to test with?

Or have a multi-meter and know how to use it? If not maybe a family member or friend who does and could help.
(Problematic with quarantines....)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not underload but if any voltages are out of spec then that could be a clue.

Havok88

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Clean is good but PSU's have a designed in EOL (End of Life) and that is probably done in a matter that makes "cleanliness" moot. Heating up, cooling down, power on, power off cycles, wattage output, etc. are what matter.

And if the PSU has been heavily used for gaming, graphics rendering, bit-mining etc. the PSU could be starting to falter.

Do you have another PSU to test with?

Or have a multi-meter and know how to use it? If not maybe a family member or friend who does and could help.
(Problematic with quarantines....)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not underload but if any voltages are out of spec then that could be a clue.
i would never call the usage heavy in any respect, a few hundred hours in a couple of non demanding games and 3 years of basically being used as a multimedia centre, but as a different monitor shows no issues that must point to the external hardware being the issue not the PSU right?

Ralston18

Titan
May well be external hardware and not the PSU.

You have to follow the testing.

If a different monitor shows no issues then proceed accordingly.

Try the original monitor on another known working system and otherwise repeat the testing you have done.

Consistent results, one way or another, should pinpoint the culprit.

Solution

Minetje

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
This morning I boot my pc and the display (a tv connected by dvi to hdmi cable) is in a different resolution and there is no sound.

This sounds pretty similar to what one of my monitors sometimes does., in my case an Iiyama ProLite E2473HDS connected by a DVI cable , though I'm not sure about the audio, since I never use the monitor's build in speakers. First I thought my graphics card nearly died but then I started scrolling through the monitor's display settings and found out when I changed the 'Video Mode Adjust' function from 'Full Screen' to 'Aspect Ratio' and back , the image would reset and go back to normal. For some weird reason it just sometimes happens but atleast in my case, the solution was easy and it happens maybe once every 4 to 6 months so it's not nearly annoying enough to just get a new monitor. Maybe the same thing works for you too