Strange PC startup?

When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then halts
with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message again
and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's fine
and all seems normal.
Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
restart.

Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set up
goof by me?

jad

your not saving /updating the bios as you leave the setup screen?
Is CD-ROM currently enabled at any position in the boot sequence?
Your cmos is failing to hold your settings? battery dead..checksum
error?
You may have to 'clear/short' the cmos then change each settings back
where you want them. Last resort, longshot that the CMOS has corrupted
bits and needs to 'clear' them out.

HTH,
Joe

"Deni" <deni1@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
> When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then
halts
> with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
> Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
> I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
> correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
> If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
> Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message
again
> and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
> second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's
fine
> and all seems normal.
> Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
> restart.
>
> Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set
up
> goof by me?

catz

In article <6Cnkc.15$8S1.7@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, jdemma25
@eartink.net says...
> your not saving /updating the bios as you leave the setup screen?
> Is CD-ROM currently enabled at any position in the boot sequence?
> Your cmos is failing to hold your settings? battery dead..checksum
> error?
> You may have to 'clear/short' the cmos then change each settings back
> where you want them. Last resort, longshot that the CMOS has corrupted
> bits and needs to 'clear' them out.
>
> HTH,
> Joe
>

> "Deni" <deni1@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
> > When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then
> halts
> > with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
> > Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
> > I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
> > correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
> > If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
> > Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message
> again
> > and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
> > second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's
> fine
> > and all seems normal.
> > Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
> > restart.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set
> up
> > goof by me?

Thanks, but I do always save the bios setup when exiting. I will do some
more checks and also look into possible CMOS failure.

Deni <deni1@tiscali.fr> astounded us with: news:MPG.1afc0aa4a3653318989683
@news.individual.net:

> When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then halts
> with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
> Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
> I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
> correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
> If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
> Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message again
> and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
> second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's fine
> and all seems normal.
> Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
> restart.
>
> Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set up
> goof by me?

MY boot sequence is FDD, CDROM, HDD.
Why would you have the HDD first? If the HDD has an O/S on it, the boot
sequence will never fall through to the other drives.

--
Gene P

clint

Personally, I have mine set to boot off of the HD first, unless I KNOW I
want to boot off one of the others. Typically, I don't want it to boot off
whatever CD happens to be in the system just because I forgot to take it
out.

Clint

"Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message
> Deni <deni1@tiscali.fr> astounded us with: news:MPG.1afc0aa4a3653318989683
> @news.individual.net:
>
> > When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then halts
> > with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
> > Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
> > I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
> > correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
> > If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
> > Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message again
> > and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
> > second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's fine
> > and all seems normal.
> > Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
> > restart.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set up
> > goof by me?
>
> MY boot sequence is FDD, CDROM, HDD.
> Why would you have the HDD first? If the HDD has an O/S on it, the boot
> sequence will never fall through to the other drives.
>

> --
> Gene P

"Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message
> Deni <deni1@tiscali.fr> astounded us with: news:MPG.1afc0aa4a3653318989683
> @news.individual.net:
>
> > When switching on my Win XP box it begins the boot up process then halts
> > with the message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
> > Disk Boot Failure Insert System disc and press Enter"
> > I have set in BIOS to first boot from HDD, (not sure if this is the
> > correct boot order)I have HDD CDROM and FDD.
> > If I now hit the reset button, usually it will continue to start
> > Windows, however sometimes it halts again with the same message again
> > and needs a second reset to get it to continue to start Windows. The
> > second reset always works. Once Windows is loaded and running it's fine
> > and all seems normal.
> > Then after the next power down this process has to be repeated to
> > restart.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone, it's a home built system and could be just a set up
> > goof by me?
>
> MY boot sequence is FDD, CDROM, HDD.
> Why would you have the HDD first? If the HDD has an O/S on it, the boot
> sequence will never fall through to the other drives.

The system then doesn't have to even check the other drives, it just goes
straight to the hard drive to boot. Why have it check whatever CD-ROM
happens to be in the drive to see if it's bootable? Also, it may save some
time (milliseconds).

To the OP: when I make a change in my BIOS, I have to select the Save
Changes first, then the Save Changes and Exit; if I choose Save Changes and
Exit, it doesn't save. It's a bug I live because everything else works
fine.