[SOLVED] Strange PSU noises ?

Apr 21, 2021
I recently upgraded to an RTX 3080 and I just noticed some rather strange noises coming from my PSU. It only happens when I open a game or some other graphically demanding application. In the video below, you can hear the noise start when I alt+tab into AC:Odyssey. The noise disappears when I return to Chrome, though. What is even stranger still, you can hear the noise intermittently appear as I scroll over different items within AC:Odyssey towards the end of the video. I am probably going to just get a different PSU, even though this one was fairly expensive and is a maximum of two years old. I just needed to know if something really bad could happen if I continue to use this one. It is a 750 watt EVGA 750GQ gold rated PSU, semi modular. At first I thought it was just the fan revving up higher, but I'm starting to think it may be due to some electrical component like a coil or capacitor or something ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs
ROG Strix z490-F gaming Mobo
i7-10700k @ 5ghz all cores
RTX 3080
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RBG 3600 mhz
750 watt EVGA 750GQ gold rated PSU, semi modular

View: https://imgur.com/a/7zspd1J

Solution
I am probably going to just get a different PSU, even though this one was fairly expensive

It shouldn't have been. It's usually one of the cheapest 80 PLUS Gold PSUs on the market.

The noise is coming from the main transformer. Due to the topology of the PSU, it makes audible noise when forced to do "hard switching" (something any forward topology struggles with). I don't know the long term effects of this (e.g. reduces life) or if it's just an annoyance. Probably the latter.

If you want a PSU that doesn't scream when using a high end graphics card, you need to get something that uses a resonant LLC topology.

Ralston18

Titan
First: Something bad could always happen.

Do you have your system and/or all important data backed up? At least 2 x and saved to other devices? Data proven recoverable and readable?

Second:

I hear a throbbing - almost a resonance.

Has the PSU been constantly used for heavy gaming? If so the PSU may be nearing some designed in EOL (End of Life). Could be the entire PSU or some individual component(s) therein.

If possible, try to borrow an equivalent PSU to swap in. Be very careful to not mix and match PSU cables.

In the meantime:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect everywhere for signs of damage: cracking, melting, discoloration, pinched/kinked wires, swollen components, odors, etc..

Ensure that all fans, and other components are securely fastened. Just a quick light snugging up. Nothing loose to vibrate and resonant there after.

Determine if the strange noises stop, change, or "relocate".

I am probably going to just get a different PSU, even though this one was fairly expensive

It shouldn't have been. It's usually one of the cheapest 80 PLUS Gold PSUs on the market.

The noise is coming from the main transformer. Due to the topology of the PSU, it makes audible noise when forced to do "hard switching" (something any forward topology struggles with). I don't know the long term effects of this (e.g. reduces life) or if it's just an annoyance. Probably the latter.

If you want a PSU that doesn't scream when using a high end graphics card, you need to get something that uses a resonant LLC topology.

Solution