[SOLVED] Streaming + Gaming // 5600x vs 5900x

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hey!

I want to upgrade my PC with a new processor because im currently running an R7 2700x with an RTX 3060TI, just bought the GPU in a pretty decent price and I really wanna make sure that these two does no bottleneck eachother, so basically I want to max it out and my plan is to keep this build for a longer time. So my question is, I've read a lot of articles about this already, some say 5600x is more than enough for gaming and streaming but also some said that you will benefit from the plus cores and helps keeping high frame rates with the 5900x and also is more "future proofing" which I know some say it's dumb because games won't use that many cores even after 5 years or so and also I will swap it to a new one earlier and some said that 8 cores will be the new standard soon. I've bought this R7 2700x with the fact that my motherboard will support the 5000 series (and also with the fact that it is more future proofing, I had an older thread on here where people helped me to choose between 3600 and 2700x) and I can upgrade if I want to, at first I did not even want to upgrade but now I decided to do it anyways after 2 years. Now there will be a new chipset and DDR5 so this will be the last gen I can upgrade my CPU to on this motherboard and also DDR5 will probably be crazy expensive and unstable so I will wait with the next upgrade atleast 5 years.

I've just bought a new 750W PSU and im planning on buying a Dark Rock PRO 4 and a brand new Lian Li Case for a good airflow and cooling.
So my question is, most of the games using GPU more than CPU so logically if you stream with CPU (with 12 cores and 24 threads I believe that theres is enough free juice for that) then the GPU is less loaded so it can be focused on the game 100% and you lose less performance. But I've also read that with the NVENC you lose less "power" and you will be able to keep high frames better than streaming on a CPU because making the CPU do more tasks will makes you lose frames more. So I really don't know, can someone help me with this? Logically I would think that if most games are more GPU bound, taking the load from it will increase the performance better.

For example I know that VALORANT (which I play very competitively) is more CPU bound (I know this for a fact because I upgraded my old GPU for the 3060TI and almost nothing have changed, I can't get constant 240 FPS only around 160-200, 140-180 when streaming) so I would use NVENC to make the CPU free for the game. But maybe the 12 cores 24 threads are still overkill and I could not even see the difference if i use x264 for VALORANT streaming either I don't know, please help me!

I've heard that the 5800x is not worth it due to the fact that it gets warm very easily and also the +125 USD is worth for the 5900x instead. So my hearth says 5900x but reddit and youtube videos says that it is pointless if I don't do video editing and photoshopping and ect. (which I do but not that much and not that professionally to be the reason to buy it)

SETUP RIGHT NOW:
GPU: RTX 3060 TI 8gb oc
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x with Wraith Prism
Ram: 2x8GB HyperX Fury 3200mhz CL16
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
PSU: FSP HydroX 550W 80 PLUS GOLD

NEW SETUP WOULD BE:
GPU:RTX 3060 TI 8gb oc
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x / Ryzen 9 5900x with Dark Rock PRO 4
PSU: Be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 80 PLUS GOLD

Last edited:
Solution
I've heard that the 5800x is not worth it due to the fact that it gets warm very easily and also the +125 USD is worth for the 5900x instead. So my hearth says 5900x but reddit and youtube videos says that it is pointless if I don't do video editing and photoshopping and ect. (which I do but not that much and not that professionally to be the reason to buy it)

For streaming simultaneous to playing a high FPS game it's obvious that have more cores available will only help.

5900X will hit higher clocks by spec, but all the 5000 CPU's are very eager at boosting above their max rated clocks when given really good cooling. That's what makes a 5600X such a good value for high FPS gaming.

5800X isn't as good a value because...
Hey!

I want to upgrade my PC with a new processor because im currently running an R7 2700x with an RTX 3060TI, just bought the GPU in a pretty decent price and I really wanna make sure that these two does no bottleneck eachother, so basically I want to max it out and my plan is to keep this build for a longer time. So my question is, I've read a lot of articles about this already, some say 5600x is more than enough for gaming and streaming but also some said that you will benefit from the plus cores and helps keeping high frame rates with the 5900x and also is more "future proofing" which I know some say it's dumb because games won't use that many cores even after 5 years or so and also I will swap it to a new one earlier and some said that 8 cores will be the new standard soon. I've bought this R7 2700x with the fact that my motherboard will support the 5000 series (and also with the fact that it is more future proofing, I had an older thread on here where people helped me to choose between 3600 and 2700x) and I can upgrade if I want to, at first I did not even want to upgrade but now I decided to do it anyways after 2 years. Now there will be a new chipset and DDR5 so this will be the last gen I can upgrade my CPU to on this motherboard and also DDR5 will probably be crazy expensive and unstable so I will wait with the next upgrade atleast 5 years.

I've just bought a new 750W PSU and im planning on buying a Dark Rock PRO 4 and a brand new Lian Li Case for a good airflow and cooling.
So my question is, most of the games using GPU more than CPU so logically if you stream with CPU (with 12 cores and 24 threads I believe that theres is enough free juice for that) then the GPU is less loaded so it can be focused on the game 100% and you lose less performance. But I've also read that with the NVENC you lose less "power" and you will be able to keep high frames better than streaming on a CPU because making the CPU do more tasks will makes you lose frames more. So I really don't know, can someone help me with this? Logically I would think that if most games are more GPU bound, taking the load from it will increase the performance better.

For example I know that VALORANT (which I play very competitively) is more CPU bound (I know this for a fact because I upgraded my old GPU for the 3060TI and almost nothing have changed, I can't get constant 240 FPS only around 160-200, 140-180 when streaming) so I would use NVENC to make the CPU free for the game. But maybe the 12 cores 24 threads are still overkill and I could not even see the difference if i use x264 for VALORANT streaming either I don't know, please help me!

SETUP RIGHT NOW:
GPU: RTX 3060 TI 8gb oc
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x with Wraith Prism
PSU: FSP HydroX 550W 80 PLUS GOLD

NEW SETUP WOULD BE:
GPU:RTX 3060 TI 8gb oc
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x / Ryzen 9 5900x with Dark Rock PRO 4
PSU: Be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
Comparing two setups, 5600x is stronger at single core performance, it's it's strongest point.
For multitasking you are better off with with more cores. Since you can afford it, go for 5900x, if nothing else it will be actual for longer time. An option between those two would be 5800x.

For streaming simultaneous to playing a high FPS game it's obvious that have more cores available will only help.

5900X will hit higher clocks by spec, but all the 5000 CPU's are very eager at boosting above their max rated clocks when given really good cooling. That's what makes a 5600X such a good value for high FPS gaming.

5800X isn't as good a value because it's price positioning. But there's a lot of price pressure from the new Intel CPU's so it's come down: recently, Microcenter recently sold all their stock at $299. Restocks are priced at $329. That's decent value. 5900X's also have a considerable discount though.

Don't fret the temperatures as it's highly misunderstood with Ryzen. Temps are 'hot spots', small areas that spike as it boosts. 5000 CPU's are always boosting somewhere as the OS demands it. It's expected to hit 90C and it's designed for it, as are most all modern CPU's. 5800's, with 4 cores on one CCD, will obviously run hotter than a 5900 with 6 cores on each CCD but it's still within AMD's design parameters and life not affected. Especially with much better cooling, e.g., Dark Rock 4.

That all said: if you don't mind the extra cost of a 5900X it's obviously going to be the best choice for streaming concurrent with high FPS gaming.

Last edited:
Solution

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020

5800X isn't as good a value because it's price positioning. But there's a lot of price pressure from the new Intel CPU's so it's come down: recently, Microcenter recently sold all their stock at $299. Restocks are priced at $329. That's decent value. 5900X's also have a considerable discount though.

Don't fret the temperatures as it's highly misunderstood with Ryzen. Temps are 'hot spots', small areas that spike as it boosts. 5000 CPU's are always boosting somewhere as the OS demands it. It's expected to hit 90C and it's designed for it, as are most all modern CPU's. 5800's, with 4 cores on one CCD, will obviously run hotter than a 5900 with 6 cores on each CCD but it's still within AMD's design parameters and life not affected. Especially with much better cooling, e.g., Dark Rock 4.

That all said: if you don't mind the extra cost of a 5900X it's obviously going to be the best choice for streaming concurrent with high FPS gaming.
Thank you very much for your answer! I will definietly get the 5900X then like it was originally planned, the confrimation of more cores will help me keeping high FPS during stream is absolutely worth the price.

Also the theory I was saying was right or it works in a completely different way?
This one:
So my question is, most of the games using GPU more than CPU so logically if you stream with CPU (with 12 cores and 24 threads I believe that theres is enough free juice for that) then the GPU is less loaded so it can be focused on the game 100% and you lose less performance.