Question Struggling to enjoy gaming experience with my current PC.

Jun 17, 2024
Hello guys,
I dont know what to say but Im struggling with my current pc to put some efforts on gaming experience, no matter what settings I play low or high its the same crappy fps im talking about 30-50 on some multiplayer games such as rust and squad/ HIGH CPU USAGE on Battlefield 1 and some of cpu demanding games and the funny part when i look online on people that has the same build i get confused how they enjoy smooth fps and good performance. anyway I made few steps previously such as upgrading gpu and motherboard from b450mh biostar and gtx 1650 to b550m aorus elite and rx 6650 xt these are brand new got it last month and I had my drivers reinstalled with DDU multiple times I even installed a clean windows version.
well here is the full setup:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0, Build 19045)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6/12
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B550M AORUS ELITE
RAM: 16 GB XPG GAMMIX 3200MHZ 8X2 XMP UNLOCKED FLCK 1600MHZ

Storage1: ST2000DM008-2FR102 (1.8 TB/Fixed hard disk media) HDD
Storage2: PNY CS900 240GB SSD (223.6 GB/Fixed hard disk media) SSD
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT (8.0 GB)
Display: MSI MSI G244F (1920x1080 / 23.8 Inch)
Audio2: LCS_USB_Audio
Audio4: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Audio6: C922 Pro Stream Webcam
Keyboard: HID Keyboard Device
PSU: 550W LUX 80 BRONZE

Solution
the 1650 is gone I no longer have it I have the Rx 6650xt, but as I said the cpu is super chill normal temps 66-75C while gaming

yes thats my point your using a more powerful gpu so the cpu can stretch its legs more 66c is fine but 75c is quite hot for gaming.

it isnt near the max temp range but its probly not going to help.

lower temps keep the cpu clocks high.

so 2 things i would upgrade are

1 the cooler and def the psu.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

anyway I made few steps previously such as upgrading gpu and motherboard from b450mh biostar and gtx 1650 to b550m aorus elite and rx 6650 xt these are brand new got it last month and I had my drivers reinstalled with DDU multiple times I even installed a clean windows version.
BIOS version for your motherboard? Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install all drivers in an elevated command after installing the OS in offline mode? How old is the PSU in your build?

Reactions: James Bondage

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lack of an SSD/NVMe drive might be hurting you in some games. Presumably you install games to the hard drive? That is quite slow by modern standards and some games will dynamically load textures and things from the disk.

What are your temperatures like?

6650XT is a decent mid-range card and your CPU is relatively up to date. You shouldn't have too much trouble at 1080p in practically any game.

You have a high refresh display, make sure that Freesync is on or that V-Sync is off and your desktop resolution is set to 1080p 144hz or 170hz (the max your monitors supports)

Direct quote from a well known PSU developer:
"
Note that it's not regular 80 PLUS Bronze, but Bronze 230V EU.

Also, it's an Aerocool. So who knows what you actually got.

Definitely double forward topology. And it only has 504W on the +12V, so definitely no DC to DC. So it's a pretty puke PSU overall.
"

Jun 17, 2024
Thank you for the dedicated time and effort you put into this
I was aiming to upgrade my cpu to 5700x3d because it was recommended by a youtuber that I know he said literally: That's called cpu and ram bottleneck. You also have a 5500 that is slow and only support pcie3 instead of pcie4 which makes your gpu run worse too.
My temps are quite fine its around 65 to 78 while gaming
my monitor has 165 hz and freesync is on
so you suggest to put more money on storage?
I had RUST moved to SSD to run it smoothly but it didnt change a thing.

Hello guys,
I dont know what to say but Im struggling with my current pc to put some efforts on gaming experience, no matter what settings I play low or high its the same crappy fps im talking about 30-50 on some multiplayer games such as rust and squad/ HIGH CPU USAGE on Battlefield 1 and some of cpu demanding games and the funny part when i look online on people that has the same build i get confused how they enjoy smooth fps and good performance. anyway I made few steps previously such as upgrading gpu and motherboard from b450mh biostar and gtx 1650 to b550m aorus elite and rx 6650 xt these are brand new got it last month and I had my drivers reinstalled with DDU multiple times I even installed a clean windows version.
well here is the full setup:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0, Build 19045)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6/12
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B550M AORUS ELITE
RAM: 16 GB XPG GAMMIX 3200MHZ 8X2 XMP UNLOCKED FLCK 1600MHZ

Storage1: ST2000DM008-2FR102 (1.8 TB/Fixed hard disk media) HDD
Storage2: PNY CS900 240GB SSD (223.6 GB/Fixed hard disk media) SSD
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT (8.0 GB)
Display: MSI MSI G244F (1920x1080 / 23.8 Inch)
Audio2: LCS_USB_Audio
Audio4: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Audio6: C922 Pro Stream Webcam
Keyboard: HID Keyboard Device
PSU: 550W LUX 80 BRONZE

certain games like hogwarts legacy for example will need 16x2 to be stable ram.

but before you do anything replace the god awful psu.

550w aercool psu are not great for gaming ive opened a few

550w units are more closer to 450w. even the unit your using is actually a 500w unit not 550w.

if your games are running of the ssd it will be quick enough.

also did you update the bios on the motherboard ?

recomend a psu switch to gx gold seasonic or corsair rm

Jun 17, 2024

550w units are more closer to 450w. even the unit your using is actually a 500w unit not 550w.

Thank you so much dude so by that it means I have mostly a psu bottleneck rather than a cpu/ram bottleneck

Thank you so much dude so by that it means I have mostly a psu bottleneck rather than a cpu/ram bottleneck

i would say the psu would be the culprit i would suggest updating your bios on that motherboard as well it could be hindering cpu performance if it doesnt have the proper micro code.

also in games with low framerate having vysnc can hurt it more then help.

steps to take update bios to latest version check your motherboard for what version you have

it will be on the motherboard box or motherboard itself.

for 1.0/1,1/1.2

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10-11-12/support#support-dl-bios

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-13/support#support-dl-bios

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2024

I forgot to mention that my bios is up to date at the latest version

Jun 17, 2024
only thing i can think of would be the psu

yes updating the cpu to x3d would give you a jump in performance.

also what cpu cooler are you using ?.

pc case.
I have a stock CPU cooler for the case I have MSI Forge M100R
but rn I short on budget I had multiple upgrades including the case so Im asking what could be the best upgrade for now is it the CPU or PSU
Thanks again!

I have a stock CPU cooler for the case I have MSI Forge M100R
but rn I short on budget I had multiple upgrades including the case so Im asking what could be the best upgrade for now is it the CPU or PSU
Thanks again!

if your using the stock cooler that is probly the issue

run hwmonitor

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.53.exe

now that the cpu isnt bottlenecked by a 1650 its probly clocking higher as well.

if i was to upgrade for performance sake

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M3...120-plus-v2-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ax120-v2-plus

cheapest cooling upgrade.

keep in mind the games your playing are very cpu bound so there going to push your cpu hard.

Jun 17, 2024
if your using the stock cooler that is probly the issue

run hwmonitor

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.53.exe

now that the cpu isnt bottlenecked by a 1650 its probly clocking higher as well.

if i was to upgrade for performance sake

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M3...120-plus-v2-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ax120-v2-plus

cheapest cooling upgrade.

keep in mind the games your playing are very cpu bound so there going to push your cpu hard.
the 1650 is gone I no longer have it I have the Rx 6650xt, but as I said the cpu is super chill normal temps 66-75C while gaming

yes thats my point your using a more powerful gpu so the cpu can stretch its legs more 66c is fine but 75c is quite hot for gaming.

Solution
Jun 17, 2024

Thank you so much man I appreciate your help!

Jun 17, 2024
Hello guys, I have wrote a thread yesterday about poor performance on my games and few of people who responded and suggested to change the PSU because mine looks trash and the others wants benchmark for 3dmark and few were asking about if my computer is cool enough.
Well Guys, I have a bit of knowledge on systems but not too advanced Im seeking here a suggestion whether its a system change or an upgrade of a component or whatever Im here listening for your advices I would really really appreciate your help!

Here are the results: 3DMARK RESULTS

Hello guys, I have wrote a thread yesterday about poor performance on my games and few of people who responded and suggested to change the PSU because mine looks trash and the others wants benchmark for 3dmark and few were asking about if my computer is cool enough.
Well Guys, I have a bit of knowledge on systems but not too advanced Im seeking here a suggestion whether its a system change or an upgrade of a component or whatever Im here listening for your advices I would really really appreciate your help!

Here are the results: 3DMARK RESULTS

temps look fine 70 is high but not unreasonable. gpu is fine still think its psu related

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it can pass a benchmark then the power that is there is working well enough. Should still get a new PSU, but I am leaning towards a software issue at this point.

Top results for a 5500 plus a 6650XT are only 7% faster. That is with DDR4 3800 and a 200-300Mhz overclock on the CPU. For stock CPU settings and DDR4 3200 you are doing pretty well, at least in 3DMark.

Might be time to wipe the OS. Swapping motherboards isn't usually recommended without a full re-install. You might take this opportunity to pick up an NVMe drive.