Question Struggling to find a new Smartphone

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hi, I've been looking at new phones for years but I can never find one that really jumps out. So I was hoping people here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I had a 4s for a LONG time and Personally I think it was the best phone ever.

I've always like the designs from Sony but I don't want one because the 2 Xperia phones i've known (using a Z3 Compact for now) started falling apart quickly
Don't want samsung but I could be persuaded
Don't like iphones anymore.

Here is roughly what i'm after
  • USB-C
  • Different Colour options
  • 32GB-64GB
  • 3.5MM Jack
I'm in the UK and I'm not really fussed about performance.

closest ive found to what I want is the Honor Play

help me out pretty please.

EDIT: Changed some requirements.

Last edited:

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Guys last night I came across the Honor Play and it seemed like it was ideal for me, really good price and all that so I put it as my No1 but now this morning im reading the google.huaweii news, do you think this will matter or should I buy it anyway? thanks

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
So like what exactly are you looking for, what do you not like about most phones?

I was looking for a new phone, my needs were pretty specific (lowend-ish prie, no display notch, 3.5mm jack, USB-C and a few more), I ended up with Motorola G6. It's... Okay. I mean all the Android phones above a certain level are kind of the same.

You get to choose where your fingerprint reader is, what connection you get and display resolution/style and that's kind of it unless you're looking for performance or rugedness.

Well since I'm mostly satisfied with the G6 so far, I suppose you could give G7 series or One Vision a shot as it's higher end. The Motorola features are pretty cool, Lenovo seems to know what they are doing and these phones come in multiple color options.

What I recommend is to decide whether you want a OLED display or LCD and go from there as that probably makes the most difference IMO.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
So like what exactly are you looking for, what do you not like about most phones?

I was looking for a new phone, my needs were pretty specific (lowend-ish prie, no display notch, 3.5mm jack, USB-C and a few more), I ended up with Motorola G6. It's... Okay. I mean all the Android phones above a certain level are kind of the same.

You get to choose where your fingerprint reader is, what connection you get and display resolution/style and that's kind of it unless you're looking for performance or rugedness.

Well since I'm mostly satisfied with the G6 so far, I suppose you could give G7 series or One Vision a shot as it's higher end. The Motorola features are pretty cool, Lenovo seems to know what they are doing and these phones come in multiple color options.

What I recommend is to decide whether you want a OLED display or LCD and go from there as that probably makes the most difference IMO.

Honestly the biggest thing is how it looks & having unique colours available, I'm not fussed whether its OLED/LCD or if its an octa core processor, I just need 32/64gb storage and a nice looking phone, I had actually ordered the Huaweii/Honor Play (Pro Pack) but cancelled it because of the issues with usa/google so I thought it was a bad idea to commit incase it causes issues down the line

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Have you looked at Motorolas yet? They are pretty good looking and inexpensive.

There's also Blackberry Key2 LE in red or champaigne. Or personally I'd give Meizu Pro 7 a shot, with its dual screens. Other than that I dunno, I mean you can pretty much just walk into any electronics store and pick something you like visually...

May 22, 2019
I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S8+. Even though it's 2019, the phone continues to perform amazingly and battery life is great (about 1 days worth). It has your requirements (3.5mm jack, different colours, 32GB/64GB storage). And with the new One UI update, it makes the phone feel brand new again. Would highly recommend my friend!

Have you tried the phone finder at GSM Arena?

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

Your requirements are pretty minimal (I get 142 results since 2017). The only requirement I couldn't add was different color options. That's a tricky one, since once you buy it you're stuck with that color. So if a phone doesn't have color options but comes in a color you like, it would still qualify.

Personally I like the Pixel and Motorola phones because they have minimal customization and give you close to a pure Android experience. Motorola has more interesting add-on features I think (I like their gestures), but they take a long time with updates (still waiting for P on my Z2 Force, and am wondering if I'll even get P before Q is out).

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Have you tried the phone finder at GSM Arena?

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

Your requirements are pretty minimal (I get 142 results since 2017). The only requirement I couldn't add was different color options. That's a tricky one, since once you buy it you're stuck with that color. So if a phone doesn't have color options but comes in a color you like, it would still qualify.

Personally I like the Pixel and Motorola phones because they have minimal customization and give you close to a pure Android experience. Motorola has more interesting add-on features I think (I like their gestures), but they take a long time with updates (still waiting for P on my Z2 Force, and am wondering if I'll even get P before Q is out).

Yeah I just found this phone finder yesterday and it's been really helpful, that's how I came across realme. theres a lot of phones coming out around this time so I'm just going look at all the options for a few weeks and see what seems best, If I can get over the loss of NFC I might just buy a realme phone.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Have you looked at Motorolas yet? They are pretty good looking and inexpensive.

There's also Blackberry Key2 LE in red or champaigne. Or personally I'd give Meizu Pro 7 a shot, with its dual screens. Other than that I dunno, I mean you can pretty much just walk into any electronics store and pick something you like visually...

I've had a look at a few motorolas and theres a couple caught my eye, the One vision in particular looks good. I totally forgot blackberry existed I'll definitely check those out.

brian badonde

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
what do you all think when it comes to build quality/longevity of the "bigger brands" (samsung etc.) over all these lesser known companies. Do you think it's worth paying more for a known brand or does it not make a difference these days?