Question Stuck on Bios screen after adding a secondary HDD (with ide to sata adapter)

Jan 12, 2022
I recently upgraded my computer to a motherboard that only has sata (gigabyte b550 gaming x v2). I used an ide to sata adapter (https://www.newegg.com/riitop-35ide2sata-mndl-ide-to-sata/p/35G-0009-00054?Item=9SIA6V89YW2632) to connect a hard drive that I've been using for storage on my previous build (WD WD5000AAKB-00H8A0 500GB). I just clean installed windows on my SSD and the SSD has boot priority. The HDD is labeled E and in my last build I successfully converted it to a secondary drive instead of the primary boot drive when I added an SSD. It was working an hour before I made this build and tried to connect it. The PC boots up fine with just the SSD connected, but is stuck on the bios welcome screen when the HDD is also connected. I can't even enter the bios. I've tried with or without the jumper set to master. Not even sure that's needed with modern parts. I don't believe my HDD is bad, and I hope the adapter didn't damage it. All the connections are secured, and I've tried using sata 1 and 2 ports. The SSD is on 0. Did I pick a poor adapter, or the wrong one? Is this setup not even possible? Thanks for the help

Jan 12, 2022
that WD drive needs to be set as master
SATA mode needs to be changed from AHCI to IDE, if this option is missing, then your IDE drive might not work, in this case you cant use sata ports, usb to ide adapters would work

The product I bought came with two of the adapters, so I tried the second one and it worked. Not sure if the first was faulty or if I didn't fully plug everything in. I'm pretty sure I did, but that seems very possible. The jumper was set to master and I didn't have to change anything in the bios. Everything is working fine now, thanks for the quick reply.

TRENDING THREADS