[SOLVED] Stuck on i7-4770k with a 1080ti. Should I upgrade to intel again or AMD?

alexcambata

Commendable
Dec 11, 2017
I’m still using the old 22nm stock i7-4770k paired with a 1080ti which I’m pretty sure is holding me back. I definitely want to upgrade everything in my system except for maybe the gpu, but should I now upgrade to the new intel 10th gen, or wait for the AMD 4000 series in the fall? I also could wait a whole year for the intel 10nm to come out, but I’m not sure if I wanna keep waiting. I’ve honestly lost my patience with intel. Right now I use the pc for strictly gaming

Solution
Intel is bad value now, and will stay so until 2021 at least. Haswell has been strongly impacted by security mitigations, as such it is currently slightly slower than even early Zen CPU clock for clock - so any Zen CPU would be an upgrade.

If you can wait until Zen 3 comes out then do so, otherwise a 3300X on a B550 would already be quite a good combo with your 1080. And you could plug a Zen 3 CPU in that system the day it comes out.
Just keep it Intel is what I say.
Also, neither ur CPU, neither GPU is really too bad.
Depending on what u do, ofc.
i9-9900k with/without RTX 2080 TI is a thing versus ur current sys.
if u got the money.
But I wouldn' t hurry so much.

Intel is bad value now, and will stay so until 2021 at least. Haswell has been strongly impacted by security mitigations, as such it is currently slightly slower than even early Zen CPU clock for clock - so any Zen CPU would be an upgrade.

If you can wait until Zen 3 comes out then do so, otherwise a 3300X on a B550 would already be quite a good combo with your 1080. And you could plug a Zen 3 CPU in that system the day it comes out.

Solution

MikeJT86

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
I've still got my 4770K running too.

I'm looking at upgrading soon, seeing as the original card with this computer, a GTX780 died, and I upgraded to a RTX2080 which is definitely getting bottle-necked by the CPU.

I was looking at AMD, then the Intel 10th-gen came out and that's considerably better than the previous offers, but AMD still looking like it'll be the better option.

While there will always be the next greatest thing coming down the road I'd still wait and see what Zen3 brings. If the Zen3 IPC up tick is as described then AMD will likely make a great gaming rig as todays Zen2 chips are already really good. There's no doubt eventually Intel will get around to releasing an improved cooler running cpu to replace todays 10th gen 14nm furnace. You can play the wait game forever though so I'd just upgrade when you feel the need.

alexcambata

Commendable
Dec 11, 2017
What resolution and Hz are you gaming at? For example if 1080p I expect a cpu upgrade would help in newer cpu heavy games, however at 4K I highly doubt you cpu is limiting you. Are you happy with current performance?
I'm currently running games on 1080p at 120hz. I might also get the RTX 3080ti when that comes out so that I can really crank everything up and run games easily at 1440p. I plan on upgrading everything else as well including ram. I currently have 16GB of ram @1600mhz, and I'm still on a standard hard drive as opposed to a SSD. I was mainly curious about the processor because AMD seems like a viable option. Given what everyone has said, I might just go for the AMD 4000 series since that comes out in the fall. I want to build my PC specifically for Cyberpunk.