Question Stuttering...Can`t find the reason. Need DIAGNOSTICS help.

Feb 27, 2019
Hi...

So I have a problem with open world games - thay stutter. Games like Metro, BF1-5, All the games that are not open world work good, smooth and easy. But in games like Far Cry 5, Just Cause 3, Watch Dogs 2, GTA V, Final Fantasy XV there's stutter (I'll provide video later). I stand still - it's smooth as butter, I move around the world I see hitches from 60 to 58-59.
I Tried so many things, reintalles Windows 10, twekead to the point of needing a fresh install, tweaked Nvidia settings, removed OC, amped OC, Downclocked video, run all the SSD benchmarks. I just don't understand what I am missing =( Can you please help me? I take any advice, this is so depressing, I hveve spent all my money on new video card and can't even enjoy games at high FPS. Previous card had same issue.

Ok, so here`s the specs:
I7 4770k OC 4.5 Ghz (80C top temp, usually 65-72C)
GTX 1080TI AUROS 11GB
DDR3 RAM Kingston 1866 (Using XMP profile 1 for 1866)
SSD SAMSUNG EVO 850 500GB.
WIN 10 PRO (last update was toay after fresh install)

Here's screens of AIDA Memory Test.
https://pp.userapi.com/c846219/v846219263/1b54e4/F-ldZ0S_uEs.jpg
Videos:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrX3oFlxJE&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLgOLy7mGNM&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdmNeuNy-8&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPzZZhtiLY0&feature=youtu.be

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What monitor and resolution are you running at?
Have you put on a hardware usage monitor overlay in your games to see the % usage of all your components when the drops occur?
You've got speed of RAM - what about size?
What hardware temperatures are you encountering under load regularly (i know you've mentioned a bit before, but do you hit peak temps during fps drops?)

Feb 27, 2019
What monitor and resolution are you running at?
Have you put on a hardware usage monitor overlay in your games to see the % usage of all your components when the drops occur?
You've got speed of RAM - what about size?
What hardware temperatures are you encountering under load?
Monitor BENQ24XLT 144Hz 1080p
Yes. Check videos, GPU usage., CPU usage, RAM usage, Temps, loads.
16 GB RAM - DUAL CHANELL
One can see with videos, GPU~50-70, CPU~60-82

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My bad - sorry about that, I only read the top post. CPU temps are highish, but not enough to cause thermal throttling from my experience. Assuming based on your post that the OC made no difference?

Has the problem always occurred or has it started out of the blue?
Does lowering settings help?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
My bad - sorry about that, I only read the top post. CPU temps are highish, but not enough to cause thermal throttling from my experience. Assuming based on your post that the OC made no difference?

Has the problem always occurred or has it started out of the blue?
Does lowering settings help?
Actlually problem has always been there I guess, but I didn't notice it cause played NON open-world games unlike now, in FAR CRY 5 lowering to minimum helps, in Arkahm Knith no. In witcher it helps, every setting that lowers LODs help. While I'm standing in those games everyhing is perfect.

Reducing or reseting OC doesn`t help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Assuming you have power settings set to high performance?
As well as latest drivers etc. Which I'm sure you've covered.
Any programs running in the background asides the monitoring software? Backups, anti-virus, windows updates etc.
Can't tell from the videos due to the language, have you tried both V-sync on and off?

Also unfortunately having to take into account that many open world games do suffer from stutters. Thus why some of the newer Freesync and Gsync monitors are attempting to help overcome this.

I can't find your monitor online - is that the complete model number? Does it have Gsync or Freesync?

Feb 27, 2019
Assuming you have power settings set to high performance?
As well as latest drivers etc. Which I'm sure you've covered.
Any programs running in the background asides the monitoring software? Backups, anti-virus, windows updates etc.
Can't tell from the videos due to the language, have you tried both V-sync on and off?

Also unfortunately having to take into account that many open world games do suffer from stutters. Thus why some of the newer Freesync and Gsync monitors are attempting to help overcome this.

I can't find your monitor online - is that the complete model number? Does it have Gsync or Freesync?
Did a laucnh without any of the background apps: logitech mouse app - that`s all, only monitoring.

No Gsync unfurtenatly, bought my screen before the Gsync era. Tried latest drivers for video, and drivers for motherboard are kinda old (though BIOS is latest released by GIGABYTE), cause MB itself is from 2012. Performace is set to high both via Windows power managment and Nvidia control panel, CPU is set to from 100% to 100%, also on BIOS level I disabled all the safe modes that downclocks and downvolts CPU, though I''ll try to reduce the clocks with same voltage.
Game like withcher 3 just hitch from time to time, But JC3, Arkham Knight and FC5 are sometimes stutter hard (see the graph of JC3 video near the end).

I'm completly lost like nothing is wrong and everything is wrong. Can I do some diagnostics separate? Like separate CPU, GPU, SSD, RAM and post it here? Do you know any tools?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Overall - you can user Userbenchmark for a simple overall benchmark of your system here
SSD - Samsung Magician Software or CrystalDiskMark for benchmarking. CrystalDiskInfo for SMART status.
CPU - CPU-Z can perform a benchmark and check basic concepts. Prime95 can be used for stress testing.
RAM - memtest x86 is probably the most robust memory diagnostic tool.

Most other items are typically just benchmarking softwares. So these may help you identify if something is not quite performing to expectations.

Feb 27, 2019
Overall - you can user Userbenchmark for a simple overall benchmark of your system here
SSD - Samsung Magician Software or CrystalDiskMark for benchmarking. CrystalDiskInfo for SMART status.
CPU - CPU-Z can perform a benchmark and check basic concepts. Prime95 can be used for stress testing.
RAM - memtest x86 is probably the most robust memory diagnostic tool.

Most other items are typically just benchmarking softwares. So these may help you identify if something is not quite performing to expectations.
Ok, so did memtest 14 test (1 run) no errrors.
CrystalDiskInfo everything is fine
Removed OC...stuttering became worse
Testes CPU with OC max temp 86-88 (Average 78-82) for an hour = no errors
Tested SSD getting basically same results as seen on youtube or other forums.
Maybe my GPU is bad? But then why games like Metro or BF1 works just fine.
Tried several HDDs and SSD it`s the same.

What about PSU? Can it cause stutter?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It CAN - but not commonly. Usually an inadequate PSU will cause bigger problems than micro stuttering.

Stuttering getting worse without OC suggests component being a limiting factor. Some games do unfortunately suffer from stuttering.

Did you say you tried enabling / disabling V-Sync?
Also have you put an FPS cap on your games - if i'm not mistaken you're using a 144Hz monitor but only registering up to 60fps?

Feb 27, 2019
It CAN - but not commonly. Usually an inadequate PSU will cause bigger problems than micro stuttering.

Stuttering getting worse without OC suggests component being a limiting factor. Some games do unfortunately suffer from stuttering.

Did you say you tried enabling / disabling V-Sync?
Also have you put an FPS cap on your games - if i'm not mistaken you're using a 144Hz monitor but only registering up to 60fps?
Vsync does nothing, I always play with FPS cap at 60 or 72 (120hz and 144hz mode), only im multiplayer games FPS is unlocked. I am still lost. Its either CPU or HDD. Memory is fine, did 4 runs of memtest not a single errot. though it took 2,2 hrs to finish. I tested HDD with everypossible test tool every dignostic tools says everuthing is smart, 10 years lifespan. I dont know how to test CPU stability concerning stutters. Ive run AIDA and OCCT for several hrs - no problem 80 avarage temp, no errors, though Ill run OCCT one more time.